By Alex Labidou
Montreal Impact have revealed that they have made an offer to sign former AC Milan defender Alessandro Nesta.
Little over a week after claiming that no Major League Soccer team had enquired for him, despite harbouring a desire to play in the North American league, a spokesperson for the Canadian club has told Goal.com that they are now looking to land the 36-year-old.
"We can confirm that we have made an offer for Alessandro Nesta," the representative told Goal.com.
If Nesta accepts Montreal's offer, it would be a surprising turn of events for the stopper, having previously spoke of his pessimism about his chances of playing in MLS, hinting that he could even retire.
"I don't have a shot of playing in MLS," Nesta told Goal.com after the World Soccer Masters game in Miami on June 23. "I tried to play [in the league] but I never received any offers."
"The only place I want to play right now is on the beach."
However, after those comments were made, sources claim that the interest in the Nesta started to develop after teams realised his desire to join an MLS team was legitimate.
Nesta would be the fourth Italian to join Montreal if the deal goes through, reacquaintaining himself with Marco Di Vaio, Matteo Ferrari and Bernardo Corradi.
Follow Alex Labidou on