South Africa 2-0 Angola: Inspired hosts sink Angola

The Afcon hosts defied the pressure placed on them by fans and media alike and were able to secure a win over the Palancas Negras with a fluid and dominant display

South Africa scored their first goals of 2013 which sealed a vital 2-0 win against Angola in Durban on Wednesday evening

A first half volley from central defender Siyabonga Sagweni put the home side into the lead and substitute Lehlohonolo Majoro scored the second which gave the Afcon hosts a crucial three points in Group A.

South Africa made five changes to the side which started against Cape Verde, with Gordon Igesund focusing on providing the promise of attacking football, giving starts to the likes of Tokelo Rantie, Tsepo Masilela, Katlelgo Mphela and May Mahlangu. Dean Furman was also handed a chance to stabilise the midfield with his accurate passing.  

Angola, who also failed to score in their opening game, was able to start rising star Djalma Campos on the bench and once more rested their hopes on the scoring form of Manucho and the link-up play provided by Geraldo in the midfield.

Played in a tense, pulsating atmosphere at the iconic Moses Mabhida Stadium the clash began with Angola creating an early chance as Mateus burst through the midfield and fired a strike in from range, which went just wide.

Dean Furman’s impact was certainly felt in the opening minutes, as the midfielder showed his attacking class with some slick passes and glimpses of the vision he possesses. The home side benefitted from his presence as they piled the pressure on a nervy-looking Angolan defence.

The combination play between Phala, Mphela and Rantie mesmerised Angola at times, but the young South African striker’s finishing touch abandoned him on two occasions.

Sangweni, normally plying his trade in the central defensive position for Bafana Bafana, showed his teammates how to score a goal with an impeccable volley in the 30th minute as he latched onto a looping ball and deposited it into the bottom right corner of the net, after making a telling run into the box.

Angola looked to hit back immediately as an accurate cross provided by Geraldo found Manucho at the near post, whose header had to be palmed out for a corner by Ithumeleng Khune.  But the South Africans were not deterred as they continued to enhance their play with pace and intent to find a second goal.

Bafana Bafana went into the break with a vital lead, while Angola would have looked to improve their potency in the final third.       

The hosts made an early substitution in the second half, bringing on Reneilwe Letsolhoyane for Mahlangu and Midfield general Djalma Campos came on for Angola, in order to steady a faltering ship in the middle of the park.

Mateus was threatening once more as Angola began to display more confidence in their play, as he set-up William with a low horizontal ball from the right flank, but the striker could only drive an effort straight into Khune’s grateful arms.

Furman almost doubled Bafana Bafana’s lead with a clever low drive which Lama had to get a finger to in order to stop it from sneaking past him at his near post.

An attack by Angola seemed destined for a goal, but South Africa was able to counter with prowess, as Majoro kept calm at the near post with some mazy running and a low strike which beat Lama and sent South Africa into a 2-0 lead.

With less than half-an-hour to play South Africa decided to consolidate their lead and soak up Angola’s continued pressure. Their tactic worked and the hosts were able to hang on for a vital win, which should energise the home fans and the tournament itself.