thumbnail Hello,

Setanta Cup

  • 14 April 2014
  • • 20:00
  • • Richmond Park, Dublin
  • Referee: D. Tomney

Sligo Rovers win Aggregate 7 - 1

St Patrick's Athletic 1-5 Sligo Rovers: Saints stunned as Bit o' Red reach Final

St Patrick's Athletic 1-5 Sligo Rovers: Saints stunned as Bit o' Red reach Final

David Maher

David Cawley and Aaron Greene impressed as Ian Baraclough's side made light work of a lethargic looking St Pat's to progress to the Setanta Sports Cup Final

Sligo Rovers moved forward to a potential date with Dundalk or Shamrock Rovers following a big win over St Patricks Athletic at Richmond Park. Sligo held the advantage after a 2-0 win at the Showgrounds, but fared even better in the away leg thanks a double from Aaron Greene, goals from Joseph Ndo and John Russell, as well as a Derek Foran own goal. Pat's grabbed a consolation through a stunning Lee Lynch strike, but it was much too late as Sligo ran out 7-1 aggregate winners.

After edging out the Saints in the first leg Sligo took just 20 minutes to add to their tally in the return game. Joseph Ndo started off a good passing move for the visitors, which ended up with Kieran Djilali showing pace down the righ before squaring the ball to Aaron Greene who easily beat Brendan Clarke.

A second arrived seven minutes later, when Danny Ledwith received a ball in the area from Ross Gaynor. The former UCD man cut a fine ball back to the waiting Ndo and he fired home past a despairing Clarke. Greene’s second and Rovers third emerged six minutes before the break as he smashed an effort past Clarke to round off a superb opening period for the Bit O’Red.

After an expected flat start to the second half and with 22 minutes left on the clock, a consolation came for the Saints. After some fine work with his feet, Lee Lynch found space 30 yards out to unleash a thunderbolt that gave Rogers little chance.

Calamity ensued three minutes later as Sligo wrapped proceedings up. A cross from the left by Ledwith was destined for North, but Derek Foran slid in the wayand in the process directed the ball past Clarke for Sligo’s fourth of the evening.

Things got bleaker before full time for Pat's as John Russell poked home after Evan McMillan’s header from a Danny North corner was parried by Clarke.

Sligo Rovers progress to face one of Dundalk or Shamrock Rovers in the final, while Pat's will need to regroup as they face a Dublin derby clash with Bohemians in the SSE Airtricity League on Friday night.