thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 14 July 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • The Showgrounds, Sligo
  • Referee: P. Tuite
  • • Attendance: 3180

Sligo Rovers 1-1 St Patrick's Athletic - Saints earn point with confident performance

Sligo Rovers 1-1 St Patrick's Athletic - Saints earn point with confident performance

Oliver McVeigh / SPORTSFILE

The champions were held by the league leaders at the Showgrounds, leaving the title race wide open

Sligo Rovers came from behind to draw with Airtricity Premier Division leaders St Patrick's Athletic at the Showgrounds. Anto Flood gave the Saints the lead early on, but Rovers struck late to share the points.

The two sides took time to settle into the game, with neither team wishing to make any mistakes. This led to a slow start, with Brendan Clarke first called into action on 14 minutes after a decent effort from new Sligo signing David McMillan. A quick break from Pat's saw them take the lead when Evan McMillan let the ball in behind him and onto Anto Flood, who did well to put the ball past Gary Rogers.

The home side were creating more opportunities with Clarke called into action to deny David Cawley, while David McMillan was getting into good positions up front. McMillan tried to bring Anthony Elding into the match with some good hold-up play, by neither forward could test Clarke in the first-half.

Sligo suffered from a lack of width in the first-half, but manager Ian Baraclough kept faith in his narrow 4-4-2 formation until the 68th minute when he sent on winger Kieran Djilali to provide options out wide. The Bit o' Red pushed forward in the second-half, with David McMillan and Gavin Peers going close.

The Saints should have doubled their lead after a mistake from Peers, but Greg Bolger chose to shoot rather than play in Jake Kelly, who was in a goalscoring position. Sligo continued to push men forward, and grabbed an equaliser with eight minutes left on the clock when a scramble in the box saw Evan McMillan power home after Gavin Peers missed Seamus Conneely's ball in.

Both sides created chances late on, pushing for the winner, but Saints boss Liam Buckley looked pleased with the point at full-time. St Pat's stay three points clear at the top of the table, with Sligo going level on points with both Derry City and Dundalk, leaving the title race wide open.