thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 17 May 2013
  • • 20:00
  • • Tolka Park, Dublin
  • Referee: A. Buttimer
  • • Attendance: 1418

Shelbourne 0-3 St Patrick's Athletic - Shels begin life after Alan Matthews with another heavy loss

Shelbourne 0-3 St Patrick's Athletic - Shels begin life after Alan Matthews with another heavy loss

David Maher / SPORTSFILE

Shels' interim manager Kevin Doherty's first match in charge ended in 3-0 defeat at home to St. Pat's

A Christy Fagan double and a Chris Forrester header gave Liam Buckley's side all three points at Tolka Park, seeing them go level with Sligo Rovers at the top of the Airtricity Premier Division table. Jack Memery was sent off late on for the home side to add insult to injury.

In a scrappy first half where both teams struggled to keep hold of possession, the home side had the only real chance to open the scoring 15 minutes in. Following some good work down the right hand side, Craig Mooney cut the ball back to the edge of the area, where Sean Brennan fired just wide of Brendan Clarke's goal.

After a goalless first half, it was the away side who took the lead eight minutes after the break. Ian Bermingham played a neat one-two with Forrester before his outswinging cross was met by a Christy Fagan header at the near post.

It wasn't long before Liam Buckley's men doubled their lead. Conan Byrne's cross from the right wing was flicked goalwards by Killian Brennan. Ger Hanley saved the initial effort but could only parry to the feet of Fagan, who tapped in for his and Pats' second.

The visitors showed no mercy as they continued to pile on the pressure late in the second half. Hanley did well to tip a Killian Brennan free-kick over the bar, but the resulting corner, again taken by Brennan, was nodded home at the far post by Chris Forrester.

It got even worse for Doherty's side in the closing minutes of the game. A high foot from Jack Memery caught Ger O'Brien in the face and referee Anthony Buttimer produced a straight red card.

The defeat is Shels' 10th of the campaign, while St. Pat's recorded their sixth consecutive away win to move up to 30 points alongside Sligo Rovers at the top of the table.