thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 15 March 2013
  • • 19:35
  • • Tallaght Stadium, Dublin
  • Referee: P. Tuite
  • • Attendance: 4000

Shamrock Rovers 3-0 St Patrick's Athletic - Hoops ease to victory in Dublin derby

Shamrock Rovers 3-0 St Patrick's Athletic - Hoops ease to victory in Dublin derby

Tomas Greally / SPORTSFILE

Rovers make pressure count in a ruthless display against a poor Saints outfit, with Ciaran Kilduff, Gary McCabe, and Ronan Finn finding the net

Shamrock Rovers continued their unbeaten start to their 2013 Airtricity League campaign with a dominating victory over rivals St Patrick's Athletic at Tallaght Stadium. An early goal from Ciaran Kilduff coupled with a strike from Gary McCabe and late breakaway goal from Ronan Finn was more than enough to condemn the disappointing Saints to their first defeat of the season.

Rovers asserted their authority early on with both Ciaran Kilduff and Sean O'Connor bright going forward, but were just unable to provide that all-important final ball as the Saints struggled to keep up.

Pat's, looking for a first league win at Tallaght Stadium in three years, looked overwhelmed, and it came as no surprise when Rovers took the lead on 15 minutes with Kilduff benefiting from some slack defending from the left to head the ball home following good play down the flank from Ronan Finn. Rovers continued to exert their pressure as the Saints struggled to get any foothold in the game thanks to a well organised Rovers midfield – who continued to find space.

Rovers began the second half where they left off, with Ronan Finn once again the danger man going forward and it was his cross which eventually found Gary McCabe on the edge of the box, who sent a spinning left foot shot into the far corner of Brendan Clarke's net.

The second goal deflated the Saints, who tried their best to stage some kind of a comeback, but the damage had already been done. Liam Buckley's side continued to pour forward in search of a goal, but were caught on the counter-attack, with the impressive Ronan Finn on hand to score the third and final goal.