thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 3 May 2013
  • • 20:00
  • • Tallaght Stadium, Dublin
  • Referee: A. Kelly
  • • Attendance: 3600

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Sligo Rovers – Late Sheppard goal stops Sligo

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Sligo Rovers – Late Sheppard goal stops Sligo


Sligo saw themselves slip from the top of the Airtricity Premier Division table as Shamrock Rovers pegged them back at Tallaght Stadium

Excellent goals from David Cawley and Karl Sheppard saw Shamrock Rovers record a point against title challengers Sligo Rovers in a match which also saw the Airtricity Premier Division's top scorer Anthony Elding sent off.

The atmosphere was electric at Tallaght Stadium as Ian Baraclough's side kicked off, but it was the home side who started the stronger of the two. The Hoops played well in midfield with some nice passes and created early chances.

The rain started coming down on the 20 minute mark, as Sheppard ran the ball to Gary McCabe on the edge of the box, but a little to much pace resulted in a goal kick. The biggest incident of the first half came on 25 minutes when James Chambers missed a great chance for the Hoops and who also had a penalty claim. Sligo quickly responded to this pressure with some nice counter-attacking play and managed to get the ball up into the box, but it came to nothing.

At the 35 minute mark Sheppard had a great cross into Billy Dennehy for Rovers, but the resulting shot was way off target. The Hoops had another great chance on 42 when McCabe missed a sitter, with a shot aimed directly at the Gary Rogers who gathered the ball easily.

Sligo Rovers started the second half like a completely different team and managed to take the lead as David Cawley scored a fantastic goal around the 55 minute mark.  Shamrock Rovers tightened up after this in an effort to boost their defence, as Sligo failed to take advantage of a couple of free-kicks.

Shamrock Rovers eventually got back into the game around the hour mark and applied significant pressure once again. There was a lot of play into the Sligo box which resulted in a busy few minutes for Rogers. Shamrock Rovers really started to break down the Sligo defence in the last 15 minutes, searching for an equaliser.

A dramatic final five minutes saw Shamrock Rovers piling on the pressure, but a corner by Sean O'Connor drifted wide. However their continued efforts paid off as Karl Sheppard scored the equaliser in the 85th minute. Then Anthony Elding saw red for a heavy tackle.

The draw sees Shamrock Rovers narrow the gap between the leaders at the top of the table. With the draw, Shamrock Rovers are back on track having lost their two previous matches. Sligo Rovers face Derry City at home Monday with the winner taking top spot.