thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 5 April 2013
  • • 20:00
  • • Tallaght Stadium, Dublin
  • Referee: G. Kelly
  • • Attendance: 2800

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Drogheda United - Hoops fail to finish off Drogs as spoils are shared

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Drogheda United - Hoops fail to finish off Drogs as spoils are shared

Barry Cregg

Shamrock Rovers recorded their sixth draw of the season, coming from behind to draw with Drogheda with Ronan Finn cancelling out Paul O'Conor's opener

A win for the Trevor Croly’s Hoops at Tallaght Stadium was dearly needed as they found themselves trailing champions Sligo Rovers by 10 points before kick-off. With both sides having only managed one win in their opening six games of the season, both sides looked to secure a vital three points. Paul O'Conor gave Drogs an early lead, but saw it cancelled out by Ronan Finn's strike.

After a scrappy opening to the game, the visitors settled down and looked the brighter of the two sides, getting forward and attacking Rovers from the flanks.

Ryan Brennan failed to put the visitors ahead when he nodded a free header narrowly wide of the Rovers
goalpost within the first 10 minutes.

On 14 minutes Shane Grimes delivered a sumptuous left-footed cross from the left flank which Paul O’Conor headed in from the penalty spot unchallenged.

Trevor Croly’s men levelled the score right before the half-hour mark when Ronan Finn fired a low driven shot just inside the post to beat keeper Gabriel Sava. Finn has been a revelation for the Tallaght outfit and has carried his excellent form from last season into 2013.

Pat Sullivan unleashed Karl Sheppard with a great over the top ball from the back and the striker touched the ball past the onrushing Drogs keeper, who clattered Sheppard after the ball had gone.

Drogheda missed a chance to regain the lead just before half time when David Cassidy hammered a shot over the bar from 10 yards out after Grimes laid the ball on a plate for the winger, cutting the ball back to him from the left flank.

The second half was a lot less lively, with both sides scrapping for possession in midfield and there were no clear-cut opportunities created until Drogheda substitute Jason Marks found himself through on an open goal. He hesitated on the ball and failed to get a decent shot away as the Rovers defence quickly closed him down.

Derek Foran nearly snatched the Hoops another late winner when he unleashed a powerful driven shot that Sava had to turn around his post.

A point was a fair result but Trevor Croly won’t be happy at the lack of opportunities created by his side and they find themselves a point ahead of Drogheda but a long way away from champions Sligo at this early stage of the season having drawn six of seven matches.