thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 12 April 2013
  • • 20:00
  • • Tallaght Stadium, Dublin
  • Referee: P. McLoughlin
  • • Attendance: 2500

Shamrock Rovers 7-0 Bray Wanderers - Hoops record second win of the season

Shamrock Rovers 7-0 Bray Wanderers - Hoops record second win of the season

Matt Browne / SPORTSFILE

Shamrock Rovers put in an impressive display at Tallaght Stadium to ease past a disappointing Seagulls side, with Ronan Finn and James Chambers scoring two goals each

Goals from Danny Ledwith, Ciaran Kilduff, two from for Ronan Finn, Mark Quigley and James Chambers double gave Shamrock Rovers a 7-0 win over Bray Wanderers following a series of draws for Trevor Croly's side.

Shamrock Rovers dominated the first half, controlling the midfield while Mark Quigley impressed by making himself available to his team mates. The hosts scored the first goal on six minutes with a ball from Derek Foran to Sean O’Connor which allowed Danny Ledwith to score his first goal for Rovers. At the other end Barry Murphy made a sloppy throw out but Bray couldn’t make the most of the goalkeeper's mistake.

Kieran Marty Waters made several good runs for Wanderers, but he couldn’t get his shots on target. Finally after the half hour mark the constant accuracy of passing and pressure from Rovers paid off with a second goal scored by Ciaran Kilduff. Just before half time Ronan Finn made it 3-0 for Rovers when the impressive Quigley found Ledwith who set up O’Connor, with the ball well-struck by the on-rushing Finn.   

Bray began the half with some pressure in the Rovers' half but a dangerous freekick came to nothing. They had another decent chance but Barry Murphy was out of his goal quickly and made the necessary save. Just after the hour mark Ledwith put in a great cross to Quigley and he headed into the net, a deserved reward for his hard work throughout the game.

From a cleared Ronan Finn shot, James Chambers controlled, turned and scored Rovers' fifth goal of the night. Within a few minutes Chambers had his second from a free kick outsmarting Quigley in the Bray goal. The game ended with a penalty for Rovers from a foul on Sean O’Connor and Ronan Finn scored the seventh goal of the night.

The Hoops came away with a well-deserved win, just their second of the season. Bray will try to recover from this comprehensive defeat when they entertain newly promoted Limerick FC at the Carlisle Grounds next weekend.