thumbnail Hello,

UEFA U21 Championship

  • 9 September 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • The Showgrounds, Sligo
  • Referee: D. Vučkov
  • • Attendance: 1936

Republic of Ireland U21 0-4 Germany U21 - Boys in Green suffer disappointing defeat

Republic of Ireland U21 0-4 Germany U21 - Boys in Green suffer disappointing defeat

Paul Mohan

Two goals from Kevin Volland helped Germany go top of Group 6, as Samir Carruthers was sent off for Noel King's side

Germany under-21s recorded a comfortable victory over the Republic of Ireland at the Sligo Showgrounds to go top of European Championship Qualifying Group 6. Two goals from captain Kevin Volland followed a fine early strike from the impressive Moritz Leitner. Substitute Phillip Hoffman added a fourth late in the second-half. Samir Carruthers made Ireland's task even more difficult with his dismissal for a second yellow card on the hour mark.

Ireland began the match brightly with Anthony Forde working hard down the left almost winning a corner for his team. Ireland got an early warning of the task that lay ahead of them when Leitner played in Volland in the left hand side of the box before Shane Duffy intervened to concede a corner. Leitner looked particularly dangerous finding space in the middle, and on the left Schulz gave  Harriman a tough night.

First blood was struck by the Germans on 10 minutes when a cross from Nico Schulz was headed clear only to fall to Leitner 20 yards out who chested it down and volleyed it under the dive of Aaron McCarey. Ireland attempted to strike back with Sean Murray and Carruthers combining well before Murray's cross was cut out. Germany scored their second  on the 22nd minute when Anthony O’Connor headed over his own keeper trying to cut out a German shot and Volland pounced to finish into an empty net

Germany struck again with fine work on the left from Amin Younes who crossed to Volland to head in from six yards out in the 26th minute. The final ball was lacking from Ireland and Shane Duffy found himself playing a lot of balls long from the back.

Germany continued where they left off with Younes testing McCarey with a rasper from wide left early after the re-start. Duffy and O’Connor were having to keep their wits about them and the Everton defender was forced into a desperate block another effort from Schulz.

Ireland struggled to get any decent possession of the ball with the Germans effortlessly snubbing out any Irish counter attacks. Leonardo Bittencourt and Volland combined beautifully down the right 10 minutes into the second half before Duffy cleared from the penalty spot. Connor Smith sent a stinging shot from 30 yards towards the German goal which was saved smartly by ter Stegen.

Carruthers got his marching orders for a strong but fair tackle which earned his second yellow card on the hour mark, making Ireland's task considerably harder. Antonio Rudiger tested McCarey from long range after a Bittencourt corner was only half cleared as far as Schulz. A rare foray into the opposition half saw Sean McGinty stride forward 25 minutes in. The Sheffield United defender cut in from the left only to shoot tamely at the keeper.

Ireland won a free kick 30 yards out in the 82nd minute and had a chance to trouble the German goal, but Murray wastefully blazed over. Germany immediately countered and substitute Phillip Hoffman scored from 12 yards out to complete the rout.

It was a complete performance by the German team who perhaps took their foot off the pedal in the second-half, while Ireland struggled to get any meaningful possession and the final ball was lacking. The Germans now top the group with two wins, seven goals scored and none conceded. Ireland now look forward to a trip to Romania on October 15.