thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 2 April 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • Thomond Park, Limerick
  • Referee: P. Tuite
  • • Attendance: 3006

Shamrock Rovers

  • Sean O'Connor 9'
Limerick 1-1 Shamrock Rovers - Super Blues take a point against 10 man Rovers

Limerick 1-1 Shamrock Rovers - Super Blues take a point against 10 man Rovers

Diarmuid Greene

Goals from Limerick's Craig Curran and Hoops' Sean O'Connor ensure a share of the spoils, while Ken Oman was sent off for a second bookable offence

Limerick hosted Shamrock Rovers at Thomond Park and took a share of the spoils through Craig Curran's equaliser after Sean O'Connor had given the hosts an early lead. The Hoops were forced to battle for the point after going down to 10 men with Ken Oman sent off just after half-time.

The opening exchanges proved to be entertaining as Shamrock Rovers maintained possession in the Limerick half. The visiting side went ahead after 9 minutes after a mistake from the Limerick defence allowed Sean O’Connor to slot home a neat finish from just outside the box.

Limerick struggled for possession after the early goal as Rovers continued to assert their dominance in midfield. Patrick Nzuzi received a yellow card from Referee Paul Tuite after a mistimed tackle on the right flank after 24 minutes. Minutes later the Super Blues equalised after a neat pass from Shane Tracy allowed Craig Curran to slot home through a sea of bodies in the box .

After that the possession was contested as both sides continued to battle to carve out opportunities at either end. The half ended with a scrappy challenge from Ken Oman which resulted in a yellow card.

The second half continued as the first ended for Oman after a late challenge on Craig Curran after 49 minutes earned him a second yellow and was then subsequently sent off. Rovers responded with a substitution taking off Gary McCabe for Thomas Stewart. The game's paced slowed as Limerick went in search of possession.

A series of changes invigorated Limerick with Danny Galbraith striking a powerful shot right which was well held by Barry Murphy. After that, Limerick did well to prevent Rovers from creating any clear cut chances and controlled the play well from the back.

The point for Rovers is the Dubliners' fifth draw this season. Stuart Taylor’s side will be happy with a solid performance which sees them rise up the table.