thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 16 August 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • Oriel Park, Dundalk
  • Referee: N. Doyle
  • • Attendance: 3031

Dundalk 2-0 Sligo Rovers - Lilywhites keep title hopes alive with hard-fought win

Dundalk 2-0 Sligo Rovers - Lilywhites keep title hopes alive with hard-fought win

Oliver McVeigh

Goals from Pat Hoban and Chris Shields keep Dundalk within one point of top spot, but see Sligo slip further behind in the title race

Pat Hoban's 11th goal of the season and a second-half strike from Chris Shields saw Dundalk defeat Sligo Rovers to keep up the pressure on Airtricity Premier Division leaders St Patrick's Athletic.

Dundalk were on the back foot early on, giving their opponents time and space on the ball, which nearly resulted in a headed goal from Gavin Peers after a good ball in from Joseph Ndo. However, Peter Cherrie was relieved to watch the ball go over his crossbar.

The hosts began to come back into the game after the early scare, and went ahead on 15 minutes as Pat Hoban turned on the ball before putting a long-range strike past the helpless Gary Rogers. Andy Boyle kept Dundalk ahead with a great block on Peers as Sligo looked to get back into the game.

Kieran Djilali had a shot skim just wide before Boyle produced another fine challenge to deny Anthony Elding. Peers headed off the crossbar just before half-time as the hosts went in ahead at the break.

Elding looked much better than in recent weeks, and went close again before Rogers denied Richie Towell with a great save. An open game led to plenty of chances, and Dundalk capitalised on one of theirs with Chris Shields heading home on the hour mark.

Danny North saw a great shot from range saved by Cherrie, before the keeper fortunately kept out Raffaele Cretaro with Sligo pushing all their players forward. The Bit o' Red could not break through the defence, and slumped to a 2-0 defeat.

Dundalk stay within one point of league leaders St Patrick's Athletic, but Sligo now find them seven points adrift in third place.