thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 10 May 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • Brandywell Stadium, Derry (Londonderry)
  • Referee: P. McLoughlin
  • • Attendance: 1700

Derry City 2-4 UCD - Two second-half penalties see Students stun City

Derry City 2-4 UCD - Two second-half penalties see Students stun City

Stephen McCarthy / SPORTSFILE

David McMillan scored two penalties in five minutes as UCD came from behind to take all three points at title-chasing Derry City

Two David McMillan penalties in the space of five second-half minutes saw UCD come from behind to win 4-2 and inflict a second successive defeat on 10-man Derry City. The result did not particularly reflect the fact that the home side dominated for long periods and Derry will feel aggrieved about a second penalty when Stewart Greacen was adjudged to have fouled Dean Clarke.

Robbie Benson put the Students ahead before brilliant strikes from Rory Patterson and Barry McNamee looked to have set Derry on their way to three points. However, Dermot McCaffrey fouled Clarke and saw red, and Greacen followed suit with a foul of his own in the area, allowing McMillan to convert both and continue UCD's fine recent form.

Mark Griffin hit a post as Derry pressed for a point, before Clarke sealed the points with a fine strike in injury time. The Students should have gone ahead in the 14th minute when McMillan's excellent cross found Benson unmarked six yards out, but the striker couldn't connect with the header.

The Candystripes were hoping to bounce back from a heavy defeat in Sligo four days earlier, and this may well have contributed to a nervy first-half showing. UCD, however, took four points from six last season at the Brandywell, and were proving difficult to break down.

On the hour mark, Martin Russell's men were ahead. Breaking from midfield, Cillian Morrison split open the Derry defence, McMillan forced a quality save from Doherty, but Robbie Benson was on hand to stroke home the opener.

As they did against Limerick the previous week, City quickly turned the game on its head in five minutes thanks to two excellent strikes. Rory Patterson was first to strike when he produced a fantastic turn and sweetly-struck volley from the edge of the area past a helpless O'Donnell.

A second Derry goal arrived when David O'Connor hacked down Patterson, and Barry McNamee curled an unstoppable left-footed shot into the top corner of the net.

UCD were not finished though, and when Dean Clarke got goal side of McCaffrey and forced the foul, referee Paul McLaughlin had no hesitation in sending the Derry full-back off. David McMillan stepped up and rolled the ball down the middle, and when presented with another penalty five minutes later, lashed the ball high past Doherty.

Dean Clarke was allowed to roam in plenty of space late on and flashed a shot into the bottom corner from 25 yards to wrap up the points.

With Sligo Rovers held to a draw at Bray Wanderers, Derry manager Declan Devine will be disappointed not to have taken something from the clash with the Students, who move further from the bottom.