thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 15 March 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • Turner's Cross, Cork
  • Referee: P. Sutton
  • • Attendance: 2800


  • O. Heary 41'
Cork City 2-1 Bohemians: Daryl Horgan fires Cork City to first league win of the season

Cork City 2-1 Bohemians: Daryl Horgan fires Cork City to first league win of the season

Diarmuid Greene / SPORTSFILE

The Leesiders came from behind to record their first win of the season, with Daryl Horgan putting in a man of the match performance

Cork City grabbed their first league win of their Airtricity League campaign as they came from behind to defeat Bohemians at Turners Cross. Goals from Danny Furlong and Daryl Horgan ensured it was City who took the all important three points against their Dublin counterparts, who led through a Owen Heary header.

After an even start, it was the visitors who created the first attempt at goal but striker Karl Moore's weak strike form the edge of the area was easily saved by Mark McNulty.

Moments after Kevin Devaney curled a long range effort harmlessly wide, Cork City’s Daryl Horgan almost gave his side the lead with a fierce effort that stung the palms of Bohemians keeper Dean Delaney.

City remained composed in possession but apart from Daryl Horgan, who caused right back Derek Pender trouble with his pace and trickery, they failed to create any clear opportunities. Just before the half ended, the visitors got the goal that their performance deserved as captain Owen Heary's flicked header at the near post flew past the keeper and in from a fine Ryan McEvoy corner.

The goal seemed to spark Cork into life as just before the interval they almost grabbed an equaliser when Daryl Horgan's superb control and volley was brilliantly saved.

City began the second half as they ended the first and it didnt take them long to score thet crucial equaliser through Danny Furlong. Furlong’s fine run allowed him to race onto Daryl Kavanagh’s precise through ball before expertly placing the ball past the onrushing keeper and into the bottom left corner.

Cork completed the comeback after fifty seven minutes when, after some lovely build up play involving Daryl Kavanagh and Gearoid Morrissey, Daryl Horgan was played in on goal and he made no mistake, slotting the ball under the keeper.

City remained composed and began to kept possession to see out the result although they did come close to adding a third when Danny Furlong’s half volley rattled the bar.