thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 7 September 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • Dalymount Park, Dublin
  • Referee: G. Kelly
  • • Attendance: 1148

Bohemians 0-2 Sligo Rovers - Bit o' Red stay in contention with comfortable win

Bohemians 0-2 Sligo Rovers - Bit o' Red stay in contention with comfortable win

Brian Lawless

Goals from Gavin Peers and Aaron Greene helped Ian Baraclough's side move to within five points of the top of the table, with a deserved win at Dalymount Park

Gavin Peers and Aaron Greene found the net as Sligo took all three points in a game where Bohemians will rue their missed chances.

Bohemians had the best of the early stages, creating a few openings and causing the Sligo defence a few problems. Conor Murphy took a dangerous shot that forced a good save out of Sligo keeper Gary Rogers.

Sligo’s first chance of the first half came from an Aaron Greene free kick which was pushed behind for a corner after 15 minutes.

The Bit o'Red made the breakthrough from the resulting corner as Gavin Peers headed in at the near post off Kieran Djiali's ball in. After the goal the game stayed fairly balanced with both teams creating chances. Conor Murphy headed a chance over the bar from six yards out, while Sligo winger Djilali was causing Bohemians problems at the other end.

Late in the first-half, Bohemians went close to equalising when a header from defender Anto Murphy was cleared off the line. The second-half started much like the first-half with Bohemians playing the better football. Karl Moore set Conor Murphy up for an early chance which just whistled past the post.

Minutes later Moore went on a run down the wing and put in a dangerous cross which was cleared by the Sligo defence. As the second-half progressed Bohemians began to dominate with Moore and Liam Buckley causing Sligo a few problems. However, Sligo doubled their lead against the run of play as Aaron Greene scored from a quick break.

Danny North came on for David McMillan to add some more fire power to the Sligo attack as they began to take control after the second goal. Both teams continued to press forward towards the end but neither of them looked like adding to the scoresheet.

Sligo finished strongly, closing out the game well and ensuring that they left with all three points, keeping in contention with the top two.