Mansfield - Liverpool Preview: Stags hope for FA Cup upset against improving Reds
The Premier League club travel to Nottinghamshire on a two-game winning streak to face the side who sit ninth in the Blue Square Bet Premier but just three points off the playoffs
By Chris Teale
Sutton, Geohaghon, Beevers, Thompson
Howell, Clements, Murray, Daniel
Wisdom, Coates, Carragher, Johnson
Henderson, Sahin, Assaidi
Sterling, Suarez, Sturridge
Mansfield should field a strong side as they search for a giant-killing in one of their biggest home ties for many years.
The Stags’ biggest goal threat will come from Jake Speight, who has scored six goals in the Blue Square Premier this season.
He will be supported in attack by Matt Green, with the impressive Anthony Howell expected to provide a key outlet in the midfield.
Reds manager Brendan Rodgers may rotate his squad for this game and give some fringe players time on the pitch, with new signing Daniel Sturridge a possibility for a first appearance since joining from Chelsea.
Goalkeeper Brad Jones missed the game with QPR due to illness, but should recover and may start in place of Pepe Reina.
Meanwhile, a number of younger players may be handed a chance, including the highly-rated Oussama Assaidi, who has impressed already in his limited appearances this season.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Mansfield have only failed to progress to the first round proper of the FA Cup once in over 80 years since falling into non-league football, losing in the fourth qualifying round to Fleetwood Town in 2011.
- To get to the third round, the Stags have required replays in two of their ties, including penalties to overcome Slough Town from the eighth tier of English football.
- Field Mill has been Mansfield’s home since 1919 and can hold 10,000 people, but is restricted to 7,574 seated spectators.
- This game will be the first time these sides have faced each other in history.
- Liverpool have won the FA Cup seven times, including as part of their 2000-01 cup treble under Gerard Houllier (pictured).
- Luis Suarez’s 15 Premier League goals for the Reds this season is the most by a Liverpool player since Fernando Torres scored 18 in 2009-10.
- The Reds hit the woodwork 26 times in 2012, more than any other side in the top flight.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Mansfield Town 0-3 Liverpool
- 15.76 %
Mansfield Town 0-4 Liverpool
- 11.3 %
Mansfield Town 1-3 Liverpool
- 8.47 %
|England - FA Cup (FA)||6 Jan 2013||Mansfield Town 1 - Liverpool 2|
|7 Dec 2013||Oldham Athletic 1 - Mansfield Town 1||FA|
|30 Nov 2013||Mansfield Town 1 - Morecambe 2||EFL2|
|26 Nov 2013||Burton Albion 1 - Mansfield Town 0||EFL2|
|23 Nov 2013||Fleetwood Town 5 - Mansfield Town 4||EFL2|
|16 Nov 2013||Mansfield Town 1 - Oxford United 3||EFL2|
|-||Exodus Isaac Geohaghon||Defender|
|-||Matthew James Green||Striker|
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed