Barcelona-AC Milan Preview: Blaugrana out to overturn first-leg deficit
The Catalan giants will be aiming to pull off an historic comeback when they welcome the Rossoneri to Camp Nou for the second leg of their last-16 Champions League tie
By Karthick Arvinth
Barcelona playmaker Xavi is available to face AC Milan on Tuesday after recovering from a thigh problem.
Goalkeeper Victor Valdes returns from a domestic ban, while stand-in coach Jordi Roura will also recall several players who were rested for the 2-0 win over Deportivo La Coruna.
Milan striker Giampaolo Pazzini has not made the trip to Spain after suffering a micro-fracture to his fibula in Friday's victory at Genoa, with M'Baye Niang, Bojan Krkic and Robinho all vying to replace the Italy international.
Philippe Mexes and Kevin-Prince Boateng should be fit to play despite carrying niggling injuries, while Mario Balotelli is cup-tied.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Barcelona are on a 19-match unbeaten run at Camp Nou in the Champions League, winning 15, since a 2-1 loss to Rubin Kazan in October 2009.
- The Blaugrana have won 11 of 24 ties in European competition in which they have lost the first leg away from home. However, no team in Champions League history has overturned a 2-0 first-leg defeat.
- Lionel Messi (pictured, right) needs one more strike to overtake Ruud van Nistelrooy's record of 56 goals and become the second-highest scorer in Champions League history.
- AC Milan are unbeaten in Serie A in 2013, winning seven and drawing three.
- The seven-time European champions have already lost on Spanish soil this season - a 1-0 reverse at Malaga in the group stage. Their overall away record against Spanish opposition is W4, D6, L13.
- Milan hold the unwanted record for the biggest first-leg lead squandered in the Champions League era, when their 4-1 advantage in the 2003-04 quarter-finals against Deportivo La Coruna was overturned by a 4-0 defeat in the return leg.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Barcelona 3-0 Milan
- 16.81 %
FC Barcelona 1-2 Milan
- 13.73 %
FC Barcelona 2-1 Milan
- 12.03 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||6 Nov 2013||FC Barcelona 3 - Milan 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||22 Oct 2013||Milan 1 - FC Barcelona 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||12 Mar 2013||FC Barcelona 4 - Milan 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||20 Feb 2013||Milan 2 - FC Barcelona 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||3 Apr 2012||FC Barcelona 3 - Milan 1|
|9 Apr 2014||Atletico Madrid 1 - FC Barcelona 0||UCL|
|5 Apr 2014||FC Barcelona 3 - Betis 1||LIGA|
|1 Apr 2014||FC Barcelona 1 - Atletico Madrid 1||UCL|
|29 Mar 2014||Espanyol 0 - FC Barcelona 1||LIGA|
|26 Mar 2014||FC Barcelona 3 - Celta 0||LIGA|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
|92||Stephan El Shaarawy||Striker|
|2||Mattia De Sciglio||Defender|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed