Schalke-Galatasaray Preview: Hosts look to follow up derby triumph
Jens Keller's side recorded a 2-1 win over Borussia Dortmund on Saturday, and will be optimistic against the Turkish champions, having sealed a 1-1 draw in Istanbul
By Enis Koylu
Uchida, Howedes, Matip, Kolasinac
Farfan, Draxler, Bastos
Sabri, Semih, Nounkeu, Riera
Hamit, Melo, Selcuk
Schalke's hopes of making the quarter-finals have been dealt a blow following an injury to Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, who was stretchered off against Borussia Dortmund on Saturday with a knee injury. Teemu Pukki should start in his place, with Ciprian Marica out and Raffael cup-tied.
Elsewhere, Kyriakos Papadopoulos remains sidelined, while younster Sead Kolasinac could start ahead of Christian Fuchs at left-back.
Marco Hoger should start in midfield thanks to Jermaine Jones' suspension, but Ibrahim Afellay is still recovering from a thigh injury.
Meanwhile, Galatasaray will welcome Didier Drogba back into the starting line-up after the Ivorian started Friday's 1-0 defeat to Genclerbirligi on the bench.
Felipe Melo should also slot back into midfield in the place of Yekta Kurtulus, having missed the Turk Telekom Arena reverse though suspension.
Danny Nounkeu should return to the heart of defence ahead of Gokhan Zan, but Tomas Ujfalusi remains injured. Sabri Sarioglu and Emmanuel Eboue will compete for the right-back slot.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Schalke have won their last three games, having failed to emerge victorious in all but one of the previous 13.
- Despite their disappointing Bundesliga season, the Konigsblauen are one of three teams unbeaten in the Champions League this season.
- Benedikt Howedes and Roman Neustadter have played every minute of S04's Champions League campaign this season.
- Two of Galatasaray's three European wins this season have come on the road - at Cluj and Braga.
- Star midfielder Hamit Altintop started his career with Schalke before moving on to Bayern Munich in 2007.
- Burak Yilmaz (pictured, right) became the first Turk to represent four different clubs in the Champions League this season, having previously turned out for Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Trabzonspor.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Schalke 04 2-1 Galatasaray
- 23.55 %
FC Schalke 04 1-2 Galatasaray
- 21.39 %
FC Schalke 04 2-0 Galatasaray
- 7.58 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||12 Mar 2013||FC Schalke 04 2 - Galatasaray 3|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||20 Feb 2013||Galatasaray 1 - FC Schalke 04 1|
|FC Schalke 04|
|21 Dec 2013||1. FC Nürnberg 0 - FC Schalke 04 0||BUN|
|15 Dec 2013||FC Schalke 04 2 - SC Freiburg 0||BUN|
|11 Dec 2013||FC Schalke 04 2 - Basel 0||UCL|
|7 Dec 2013||Borussia Mönchengladbach 2 - FC Schalke 04 1||BUN|
|3 Dec 2013||FC Schalke 04 1 - TSG 1899 Hoffenheim 3||GERC|
|9||Michel Fernandes Bastos||Midfielder|
|17||Jefferson Agustin Farfán||Striker|
|19||Chinedu Ogbuke Obasi||Striker|
|-||Néstor Muslera Micol||Goalkeeper|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed