thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 28 May 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • The Showgrounds, Sligo
  • Referee: P. McLoughlin
  • • Attendance: 1824

Sligo Rovers 0-1 Dundalk - Dane Massey goal gives Lilywhites victory

Sligo Rovers 0-1 Dundalk - Dane Massey goal gives Lilywhites victory

Paul Mohan

Defender Dane Massey scored the only goal in a heated game at the Showgrounds, with both teams ending the game with 10 men

Sligo Rovers put in another lacklustre performance at the Showgrounds, with Anthony Elding sent off as they were defeated by a Dane Massey goal. Dundalk also ended the game with 10 men as Stephen O'Donnell picked up a second yellow card in stoppage time.

The Bit o' Red had the first real chance of the game, coming just nine minutes in as Anthony Elding beat off a challenge from Andy Boyle to go through on goal. However, Dundalk keeper Peter Cherrie came out quickly, closing down the angles, to stop Elding's effort. The Lilywhites started to come into the game, and saw John Mountney go close four minutes later.

Aaron Greene had a cross-cum-shot bounce out off the top of the crossbar, while Dundalk also hit the woodwork through Keith Ward's curled effort on 33 minutes. The breakthrough came on 41 minutes, and it was the visitors who struck through Dane Massey who struck a well-taken effort past Gary Rogers.

Early in the second-half, David Cawley was put through on goal, but could not properly connect with the ball. At the other end, John Moutney went close with a good shot on 52 minutes. Sligo didn't look as sharp as they did earlier in the season, and their hopes of a comeback were dented with 20 minutes left on the clock as Anthony Elding received a straight red card for an altercation with Massey.

Dundalk should have doubled their lead from the spot in the 78th minute as Rogers took down Mountney in the area. However, after Pat Hoban's spot kick came back off the post, Rogers redeemed himself by saving Stephen O'Donnell's rebound.

Substitute Stephen McDonnell was on the pitch just two minutes when he played in an excellent ball for Pat Hoban, but the striker saw his shot go narrowly wide. Referee Paul McLaughlin added on six minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game, but saw that run over as he reduced Dundalk to 10 men by giving Stephen O'Donnell a second yellow card for diving.

Dundalk held out for the victory, with Sligo once again wasteful in front of goal, seeing Ian Baraclough's side slip five points behind leaders St Patrick's Athletic.