thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 6 May 2013
  • • 15:00
  • • Hunky Dorys Park, Drogheda
  • Referee: T. Connolly
  • • Attendance: 944

Drogheda United 1-2 St Patrick's Athletic - Last gasp penalty keeps Saints in title race

Drogheda United 1-2 St Patrick's Athletic - Last gasp penalty keeps Saints in title race


Killian Brennan's stoppage time spot kick proved the difference in drama-filled match at Hunky Dorys Park

There was late drama at Hunky Dory Park with Killian Brennan scoring a last minute penaly to give St Patrick's Athletic a deserved victory over Drogheda United. It seemed like the Inchicore side had let victory slip away when Ryan Brennan's 90th minute volley put the sides level after Christy Fagan's opener. However, referee Tomas Connolly made a big penalty call in the dying moments to give Pat's the victory.  

This fixture is traditionally a tight affair, and the first half brought few suprises with nothing separating the sides as they went into the dressing rooms. Pat's were the better side, but they failed to convert their multiple chances into goals, as Gabriel Sava stood firm in the home goal.

Drogheda improved in the second half, leading to Tomas Connolly's first penalty decision of the afternoon as Killian Brennan handballed in the area. Declan 'Fabio' O'Brien's resulting spot kick was drilled low and wide of Brendan Clarke's right post. Just as the spectators were expecting the game to fizzle out to a 0-0, Christy Fagan put the visitors ahead in the 81st minute. Ger O'Brien's cross was smartly met by Fagan, who made no mistake with a low drive.

There was of drama as both teams pushed players forward. Ryan Brennan looked to have grabbed a point with a 90th minute goal, but a second penalty kick saw Killian Brennan convert from the spot to seal three points for the visitors.

Drogheda will be dissapointed at not getting the point, but will be encouraged by the late intensity they showed and will want to take that into Saturday's Setanta Cup final against Shamrock Rovers.