thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 2 April 2013
  • • 19:45
  • • Richmond Park, Dublin
  • Referee: A. Kelly
  • • Attendance: 1105

St Patrick's Athletic 1-2 Dundalk - High flying Dundalk earn hard-fought victory

St Patrick's Athletic 1-2 Dundalk - High flying Dundalk earn hard-fought victory

Paul Mohan

Goals from John Dillon and Kurtis Byrne saw the Lillywhites earn all three points at Richmond Park, although Pat's battled hard throughout and could easily have snatched a point

Dundalk recorded a hard-fought victory against a spirited St Pat's side, who were good value throughout, and equalised through Conan Byrne after John Dillon's penalty kick. However, Dundalk retook the lead soon after from Kurtis Byrne and held out until the final whistle.

After a cagey opening to match, the away side had the first half chance. Vinny Faherty saw his headed attempt sail just wide of Brendan Clarke's goal. Moments later, another dangerous ball into the area from the full back found the head of Faherty once more, but Brendan Clarke made a comfortable save.

Liam Buckley's side responded well with a number of chances of their own. The best of which fell to Christy Fagan after Sean Gannon put the striker through on goal. Fagan lacked composure, however, and dragged his shot wide of the target.

On the half hour mark, Dundalk's John Dillon received the ball to feet in midfield, turned well, and had an attempt from distance. The shot looked destined for the top corner, but Brendan Clarke had to be at full stretch to turn it behind.

The Lillywhites opened the scoring just before half-time. A mistake from Conor Kenna allowed Kurtis Byrne clean through on goal. His effort was pushed onto the post by Clarke, who then upended Ward following in. John Dillon sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot.

Killian Brennan, who came off the bench at half-time, made a lively start to the second half. The former Shamrock Rovers man got on the ball well and began to pull the strings in midfield. His effort from just outside the area not long after the interval had Cherrie scrambling to push it wide of his post.

The Saints' pressure paid off and the equaliser came on the hour mark. Cherrie couldn't parry Sean Gannon's effort away far enough, and substitute Conan Byrne capitalised to steer the ball low into the far corner from close range.

The home side's celebrations were short lived, however, as Dundalk regained the lead minutes later. Brendan Clarke miscontrolled a sloppy backpass from Ger O'Brien and Kurtis Byrne pounced on the loose ball to slot home. Pat's piled on the pressure in last 20 minutes but failed to convert a number of late chances.

The win sees Dundalk close the gap on second place Derry City to just two points, while Pat's remain mid-table having scored just four goals in four games.