thumbnail Hello,

Premier Division

  • 29 March 2013
  • • 20:00
  • • Tallaght Stadium, Dublin
  • Referee: D. Tomney
  • • Attendance: 3500

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Cork City - Rovers clinch deserved point with last minute strike from Foran

Shamrock Rovers 1-1 Cork City - Rovers clinch deserved point with last minute strike from Foran

Matt Browne / SPORTSFILE

A first half strike from Colin Healy and a brave defensive display from Tommy Dunne's men was undone by Derek Foran's strike in the last kick of the game

Shamrock Rovers and Cork City played out an entertaining draw at Tallaght Stadium. With Rovers unbeaten by Cork in three meetings last season, City were determined to grab a victory in their first trip to Dublin this seasson, and looked certain to do so right up until the 94th minute when Derek Foran netted a long-range goal.

Rovers started brightly, controlling the first 15 minutes of the game and creating a couple of half chances but failed to make the most of them. City’s defence gave a solid first-half display and managed to limit the Tallaght outfit to very few goal scoring opportunities.

Right back John Dunleavy was particularly impressive and Billy Dennehy struggled to get the better of him on the wing, leading to Dennehy to temporarily switch to the right flank.

The opener came just after the half-hour mark when Rundle’s cross from the Rovers byline reached Colin Healy on the edge of the box, who controlled with his first touch and fired a powerful driven shot across Barry Murphy and into the corner of the Rovers net.

Gary McCabe looked to have equalised at the beginning of the second half when he pounced on a loose ball and tapped home from two yards. However, the referee blew for a foul on City keeper McNulty. City’s dominance turned when Darren Dennehy was issued a red card for a reckless tackle on Pat Sullivan in the middle of the park.

Trevor Croly’s men pushed further up the pitch and were creating chance after chance, illustrating the effect of the extra man. City’s goal was taking a battering in the last 20 minutes of the game and Ken Oman looked certain to score when he fired a free header from six yards narrowly over the bar from Gary McCabe’s corner.

Tommy Dunne’s men looked destined to take the three points until Derek Foran smashed home a long awaited equalising goal for the Hoops in the last kick of the game to give Rovers a share of the spoils.

The draw is the Hoops' fourth of the season, with Croly's side failing to make the expected impact, having being much-fancied in pre-season. Cork travel to Drogheda on Monday while Shamrock Rovers visit Limerick on Tuesday night.