Borussia Dortmund - Real Madrid Preview: Champions of Germany and Spain collide in high-stakes showdown
Jurgen Klopp's side welcome the nine-time European Cup winners to Signal Iduna Park in a clash that could go a long way towards deciding who finishes top of Group D
By Karthick Arvinth
Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Gotze, Reus, Grosskreutz
Ramos, Varane, Pepe, Essien
Di Maria, Modric, Ronaldo
Borussia Dortmund are sweating on the fitness of Ilkay Gundogan, Mario Gotze and Marcel Schmelzer ahead of their Champions League encounter with Real Madrid on Wednesday.
Midfielder Gundogan has been missing from action with a back problem and is unlikely to return, while Gotze (hamstring) and Schmelzer (foot) will be handed late fitness tests.
Real Madrid welcome Sami Khedira back into the squad after he missed the win over Celta Vigo because of a leg injury sustained on international duty with Germany.
Full-backs Alvaro Arbeloa, Marcelo and Fabio Coentrao remain sidelined, so Sergio Ramos and Michael Essien will continue at right and left-back respectively.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Borussia Dortmund have won just one of their last six matches in all competitions (W1, D3, L2).
- The Bundesliga giants have never beaten Real Madrid in European competition in four attempts (D2, L2).
- Dortmund have failed to win any of their last five home encounters with Spanish clubs.
- Real Madrid have won five of their last six matches across all competitions.
- The Castilian side have won just one of their 23 previous away games against German opponents (W1, D6, L16).
- Cristiano Ronaldo (pictured, right) has scored four goals in the Champions League; more than any other player this season. He has also had more attempts on target (14) than any other player.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Borussia Dortmund 1-3 Real Madrid CF
- 24.13 %
Borussia Dortmund 1-2 Real Madrid CF
- 11.82 %
Borussia Dortmund 2-1 Real Madrid CF
- 8.85 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||8 Apr 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Real Madrid CF 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2 Apr 2014||Real Madrid CF 3 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||30 Apr 2013||Real Madrid CF 2 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||24 Apr 2013||Borussia Dortmund 4 - Real Madrid CF 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||6 Nov 2012||Real Madrid CF 2 - Borussia Dortmund 2|
|19 Apr 2014||Borussia Dortmund 4 - 1. FSV Mainz 05 2||BUN|
|15 Apr 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - VfL Wolfsburg 0||GERC|
|12 Apr 2014||FC Bayern München 0 - Borussia Dortmund 3||BUN|
|8 Apr 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - Real Madrid CF 0||UCL|
|5 Apr 2014||Borussia Dortmund 2 - VfL Wolfsburg 1||BUN|
|22||Ángel Di María||Midfielder|