Inter - Napoli Preview: Nerazzurri aiming to close the gap at the top
With two points separating the sides heading into this clash, the Partenopei will be looking to extend their lead over the Nerazzurri as they aim to challenge Juve for the Scudetto
By Craig Turnbull
Ranocchia, Silvestre, Jesus
Zanetti, Gargano, Cambiasso, Nagatomo
Gamberini, Cannavaro, Britos
Mesto, Behrami, Inler, Zuniga
Wesley Sneijder's contract dispute with Inter to rumbles on and while there has been suggestions that the Netherlands international could have been back in contention for a start on Sunday, the official club website revealed that he missed training on Friday due to a calf injury and will not be available.
However, Antonio Cassano, who did not feature from the start in the Nerazzurri's last three games, is expected to play from the beginning after a cameo in Inter's 2-2 draw with Neftchi Baku in the Europa League.
The ever-reliant Walter Samuel is suspended for the hosts which gives Matias Silvestre the opportunity to impress at San Siro on Sunday. Cristian Chivu, Dejan Stankovic, Obi and Gaby Mudingayi are among the other absentees for Inter.
Andrea Ranocchia and Fredy Guarin will have to tread carefully as they are one booking away from a suspension.
Meanwhile, for Napoli, Goran Pandev is rated 50:50 to make the clash which could give young Italian striker Lorenzo Insigne the chance to stake his claim. Marek Hamsik did not train on Friday due to flu but the club are hopeful he will be ready for Sunday.
Salvatore Aronica, Christian Maggio and Blerim Dzemaili also need to be assessed before this weekend's encounter.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Inter stopped the rot with a 1-0 victory at Palermo last weekend after going three games without a win in Serie A.
- After losing their first two home fixtures in the league, the Nerazzurri have went five matches unbeaten at San Siro.
- The hosts lost last season's encounter at the Giuseppe Meazza 3-0, but previously had eight straight victories against the Partenopei.
- Napoli are undefeated in their last seven games in all competitions before their 3-1 loss to PSV on Thursday.
- Goran Pandev (pictured, right), who used to play for Inter, has made 13 appearances against the Nerazzurri and has found the net twice during this time.
- The Partenopei are five matches undefeated against Inter in all competitions. Though, in one of those games, they did record a draw in 90 minutes before losing on penalties.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Inter 2-1 Napoli
- 17.73 %
Inter 2-0 Napoli
- 17.59 %
Inter 3-1 Napoli
- 8.52 %
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||15 Dec 2013||Napoli 4 - Inter 2|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||5 May 2013||Napoli 3 - Inter 1|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||9 Dec 2012||Inter 2 - Napoli 1|
|Italy - Serie A (SR-A)||26 Feb 2012||Napoli 1 - Inter 0|
|Italy - Coppa Italia (ITAC)||25 Jan 2012||Napoli 2 - Inter 0|
|13 Apr 2014||Sampdoria 0 - Inter 4||SR-A|
|5 Apr 2014||Inter 2 - Bologna 2||SR-A|
|31 Mar 2014||Livorno 2 - Inter 2||SR-A|
|27 Mar 2014||Inter 0 - Udinese 0||SR-A|
|23 Mar 2014||Inter 1 - Atalanta 2||SR-A|
|26||Morgan De Sanctis||Goalkeeper|
|5||Miguel Angel Britos||Defender|
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed