Bayern Munich - Borussia Dortmund Preview: Bundesliga rivals face off in traditional curtain raiser
Two of Germany's biggest clubs will go head to head in the DFL-Supercup, looking to claim the first silverware of the new season at the Allianz Arena
By Enis Koylu
Lahm, Boateng, Badstuber, Gustavo
Robben, Muller, Ribery
Piszczek, Subotic, Hummels, Schmelzer
Kuba, Reus, Grosskreutz
The last few months of last season were taxing for Bayern, and the Bavarians already have an number of injury problems to contend with at the start of the new campaign. Full-backs David Alaba (stress foot fracture), Rafinha (pulled ankle ligaments) and Diego Contento (hairline foot fracture) all picked up pre-season injuries, severely limiting the veteran coach's options. Philipp Lahm should slot in on the right-hand side of defence, and the former Real Madrid coach has hinted that Brazilian midfielder Luiz Gustavo could be used as a makeshift left-back.
That leaves Toni Kroos to drop back alongside Anatoliy Tymoshchuk, who will step in for Bastian Schweinsteiger (ankle), in the deep-lying midfield positions, with the traditional triumvirate of Arjen Robben, Franck Ribery and Thomas Muller behind debutante Mario Mandzukic, who will deputise for Mario Gomez as he recovers from ankle surgery.
Xherdan Shaqiri, Dante, Tom Starke and Claudio Pizarro could make their bows for Bayern since arriving at the club this summer, and Emre Can could be given a chance to impress from the bench, given the injuries to his midfield colleagues.
Meanwhile, Marco Reus is expected to make his long-awaited debut for the club that he left as a teenager in 2006, and should slot in behind Robert Lewandowski. Mario Gotze was set to take Shinji Kagawa's old No.10 role, but has been struggling with an eye infection and is not expected back until the start of the Bundesliga.
Having missed much of the tail end of the last season, Sven Bender is fully fit and set to take his place in midfield at the expense of club captain Sebastian Kehl, with Roman Weidenfeller taking on the armband in his place.
Elsewhere, Jurgen Klopp should name the same starting line-up that beat Bayern 5-2 in the DFB-Pokal final in May. Oliver Kirch, Leonardo Bittencourt and Julian Schieber could make their first appearance for the German champions since their summer moves to Signal Iduna Park.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Both Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund have won this competition four times in their their respective recent histories. Only Werder Bremen have matched their tally.
- The last time the Bavarians triumphed in the Supercup was in 2010, the last time they were fresh from a Champions League final defeat. Miroslav Klose and Thomas Muller got the goals in a 2-0 win over Schalke, Dortmund's Ruhr rivals.
- Out of Bayern's projected starting line-up, only Luiz Gustavo did not feature at Euro 2012. Barring Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery, who represented Netherlands and France respectively, every player turned out for Germany.
- Bastian Schweinsteiger was born and brought up in Rosenheim, the same Bavarian town as Dortmund midfielder Sven Bender.
- Borussia Dortmund have come out on top the last five times these sides met, completing a league double over Bayern in the last two campaigns before their 5-2 thrashing of Die Roten in the DFB-Pokal final.
- Jurgen Klopp's side last triumph in the competition came against Bayern in 2008, in an unofficial edition of the Supercup.
- Dortmund defender Mats Hummels started his career at Bayern Munich before securing a loan move to Signal Iduna Park in 2008. The switch was made permanent a year later.
- Die Schwarzgelben's Bundesliga triumph last season saw them retain their status as German champions. The last time Bayern achieved back-to-back titles was in 2004-05 and 2005-06.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Bayern München 2-1 Borussia Dortmund
- 16.69 %
FC Bayern München 2-0 Borussia Dortmund
- 13.89 %
FC Bayern München 1-2 Borussia Dortmund
- 12.28 %
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||4 May 2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - FC Bayern München 1|
|Germany - DFB-Pokal (GERC)||27 Feb 2013||FC Bayern München 1 - Borussia Dortmund 0|
|Germany - 1. Bundesliga (GER1)||1 Dec 2012||FC Bayern München 1 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|Germany - Super Cup (GERS)||12 Aug 2012||FC Bayern München 2 - Borussia Dortmund 1|
|Germany - DFB-Pokal (GERC)||12 May 2012||Borussia Dortmund 5 - FC Bayern München 2|
|FC Bayern München|
|18 May 2013||Borussia Mönchengladbach 3 - FC Bayern München 4||GER1|
|11 May 2013||FC Bayern München 3 - FC Augsburg 0||GER1|
|4 May 2013||Borussia Dortmund 1 - FC Bayern München 1||GER1|
|1 May 2013||FC Barcelona 0 - FC Bayern München 3||UCL|
|27 Apr 2013||FC Bayern München 1 - SC Freiburg 0||GER1|
|30||Luiz Gustavo Dias||Midfielder|
|5||Daniel Van Buyten||Defender|
|28||Mohammad Mustafa Amini||Midfielder|