Manchester United - Everton Preview: Toffees winless at Old Trafford since 1992
David Moyes will be looking to improve his woeful record at the home of the Red Devils, but Sir Alex Ferguson's side have only been beaten once on their own turf this season
By Tom McKeown
Rafael, Ferdinand, Evans, Evra
Valencia, Cleverley, Giggs, Nani
Jagielka, Heitinga, Distin, Baines
Mirallas, Gibson, Osman, Pienaar
Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson is likely to make one change from his side's 1-0 win at Fulham, drafting in Ryan Giggs for Michael Carrick (hip), who sat out England’s 2-1 win over Brazil in midweek.
Ashley Young could return to the Red Devils squad after recovering from a knee injury, but is likely to start on the bench, whilst Phil Jones (illness) is ruled out alongside long-term absentee Darren Fletcher (illness).
Phil Jagielka failed to start England’s friendly on Wednesday due to a slight knock, but is set to start at right-back for Everton, with David Moyes shorn of full-backs Tony Hibbert (calf) and Seamus Coleman (hip).
The Everton boss has no other fresh injury concerns to contend with, and so is likely to name the same XI that came from behind to draw 3-3 with Aston Villa last weekend.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Manchester United have won 11 out of 12 league games at home this season.
- The Red Devils’ tally of 62 points after 25 games is their highest-ever points haul at this stage in a Premier League season.
- Sir Alex Ferguson’s side have scored 32 league goals at home so far this season; only Arsenal (33) have registered more.
- Everton have a poor record at Old Trafford, having not won there since August 1992.
- However, the Toffees have only lost twice in their last six games against Manchester United.
- Steven Pienaar (pictured right) bagged a late equaliser in this fixture last season as the sides drew 4-4, equalling the highest-ever score in this fixture.
- The Toffees boast a better defensive record than their hosts, having conceding 30 goals to United’s 31.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Manchester United 3-1 Everton
- 20.45 %
Manchester United 2-0 Everton
- 17.86 %
Manchester United 2-1 Everton
- 13.71 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||4 Dec 2013||Manchester United 0 - Everton 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||10 Feb 2013||Manchester United 2 - Everton 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||20 Aug 2012||Everton 1 - Manchester United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||22 Apr 2012||Manchester United 4 - Everton 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||29 Oct 2011||Everton 0 - Manchester United 1|
|7 Dec 2013||Manchester United 0 - Newcastle United 1||EPL|
|4 Dec 2013||Manchester United 0 - Everton 1||EPL|
|1 Dec 2013||Tottenham 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|27 Nov 2013||Bayer 04 Leverkusen 0 - Manchester United 5||UCL|
|24 Nov 2013||Cardiff 2 - Manchester United 2||EPL|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed