Wigan - Manchester United Preview: Van Persie looking to keep up scoring record
The Dutch striker has scored an impressive 62 goals in 75 games since the beginning of January 2011, with 14 goals in 20 appearances this season for the Old Trafford side
By Joe Doyle
Caldwell, Ramis, Figueroa
Boyce, Jones, McCarthy, Beausejour
Di Santo, Kone
Smalling, Evans, Vidic, Evra
Valencia, Cleverley, Carrick, Young
Van Persie, Chicharito
Roberto Martinez has no new injury worries following Wigan's 3-0 win over Aston Villa on Saturday, so the Spaniard is likely to name an unchanged lineup.
Antolin Alcaraz (groin) could be in with a chance of returning, but it is still unlikely at this stage. Albert Crusat (knee), Ryo Miyaichi (ankle), Piscu (hamstring) and Ben Watson (shin) all remain sidelined.
Phil Jones could return for Manchester United after picking up a knock in the draw against Swansea, but Wayne Rooney (knee) remains out for the visitors. Nani (hamstring) will be out for a few more weeks, while Anderson (hamstring) is also absent.
Shinji Kagawa could be rested after making his return from injury against West Brom, but otherwise Sir Alex Ferguson has a fit team to pick from.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Wigan's 3-0 victory over Aston Villa is their second-highest away win in the Premier League.
- The Latics' 1-0 win over Sir Alex Ferguson's side last season was the first points they have ever recorded against the Red Devils.
- The loss for Manchester United to Shaun Maloney's goal was one of five defeats for them last season, and one of only five home wins for Roberto Martinez's side.
- Wigan have failed to score in seven of their 20 matches this season, 35 per cent in all.
- Manchester United have 49 points after 20 games, the third highest total at this stage of the year in Premier League history.
- Robin van Persie (pictured) has 62 goals in 75 games since January 2011.
- The Old Trafford side have scored 18 goals from corners this season.
- Patrice Evra has scored six Premier League goals for Manchester United, four of which have come this season.
- Michael Carrick has made 3226 passes in the Premier League this season, 577 more than any other player.
- The opposition has scored first against United in 11 of their 20 Premier League games this season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Wigan Athletic 1-3 Manchester United
- 17.93 %
Wigan Athletic 0-3 Manchester United
- 17.12 %
Wigan Athletic 0-4 Manchester United
- 9.55 %
|England - FA Community Shield (FACS)||11 Aug 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Manchester United 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||1 Jan 2013||Wigan Athletic 0 - Manchester United 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||15 Sep 2012||Manchester United 4 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||11 Apr 2012||Wigan Athletic 1 - Manchester United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||26 Dec 2011||Manchester United 5 - Wigan Athletic 0|
|12 Dec 2013||NK Maribor 2 - Wigan Athletic 1||EL|
|7 Dec 2013||Millwall 2 - Wigan Athletic 1||ENG2|
|4 Dec 2013||Leeds 2 - Wigan Athletic 0||ENG2|
|1 Dec 2013||Wigan Athletic 1 - Derby County 3||ENG2|
|28 Nov 2013||Wigan Athletic 1 - SV Zulte-Waregem 2||EL|
|26||Ali Al Habsi||Goalkeeper|
|9||Franco Di Santo||Striker|
|1||David de Gea||Goalkeeper|
|20||Robin van Persie||Striker|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed