Liverpool - Newcastle Preview: Magpies chase first win at Anfield in 18 years
Brendan Rodgers will be looking for his side to bounce back from their Capital One Cup defeat to Swansea, while the visitors will be looking for their third win on the bounce
By James McManus
Wisdom, Skrtel, Agger, Jose Enrique
Sterling, Suarez, Suso
Simpson, Coloccini, Williamson, Santon
Ben Arfa, Perch, Cabaye, Gutierrez
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers will be without long-term absentees Lucas Leiva (thigh), Fabio Borini (foot) and Martin Kelly (knee) for the game, but has no new injury news to report, with Glen Johnson and Pepe Reina both expected to return.
His opposite number Alan Pardew will be without Cheikh Tiote, with the combative midfielder serving the second of his three-game ban for a red card received against Sunderland.
Elsewhere, Demba Ba is expected to have a late fitness test on a shin injury while Ryan Taylor and Dan Gosling are ruled out with knee injuries and are not expected back for some time.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Liverpool won this fixture last season 3-1 courtesy of a Craig Bellamy double and a goal from captain Steven Gerrard (pictured). A Daniel Agger own goal provided the visitors with consolation.
- That victory was the only game last season where Liverpool conceded first and then went on to win on home soil in the Premier League.
- The Reds have scored just four goals in four games at home so far this term.
- Brendan Rodgers' side have also kept just two clean sheets in the league this campaign. Newcastle have fared even worse, keeping just one.
- Newcastle have drawn their last three away games in the top flight.
- A win at Anfield would be the Magpies' first since 1994.
- Alan Pardew's side won the last meeting between the two clubs, posting a 2-0 victory at home in April last season.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Liverpool 2-1 Newcastle United
- 17.94 %
Liverpool 3-1 Newcastle United
- 13.29 %
Liverpool 2-0 Newcastle United
- 12.15 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||19 Oct 2013||Newcastle United 2 - Liverpool 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||27 Apr 2013||Newcastle United 0 - Liverpool 6|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||4 Nov 2012||Liverpool 1 - Newcastle United 1|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||1 Apr 2012||Newcastle United 2 - Liverpool 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||30 Dec 2011||Liverpool 3 - Newcastle United 1|
|7 Dec 2013||Liverpool 4 - West Ham United 1||EPL|
|4 Dec 2013||Liverpool 5 - Norwich City 1||EPL|
|1 Dec 2013||Hull City 3 - Liverpool 1||EPL|
|23 Nov 2013||Everton 3 - Liverpool 3||EPL|
|9 Nov 2013||Liverpool 4 - Fulham 0||EPL|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed