Netherlands - Slovakia Preview: Oranje looking to bounce back from Bulgaria loss
The 2010 World Cup finalists were beaten by Bayern Munich and Bulgaria last week, and will be keen to get back on track on Wednesday
By Stefan Coerts
Van der Wiel, Heitinga, Bouma, Schaars
Van Bommel, De Jong
Robben, Sneijder, Afellay
Pekarik, Michalik, Hubocan, Cech
Sestak, Hamsik, Holosko
Maarten Stekelenburg missed the match against Bulgaria due to a shoulder injury, but is expected to start on Wednesday.
However, Joris Mathijsen is unavailable due to a hamstring problem, and will be replaced by either Wilfred Bouma or Ron Vlaar.
Sporting Lisbon midfielder Stijn Schaars will start the game at left-back, meaning promising youngster Jetro Willems drops to the bench.
Slovakia will be without experienced players such as Martin Skrtel, Jan Durica and Robert Vittek.
Nevertheless, star player Marek Hamsik is ready to feature after a long season with Napoli to end the campaign on a high.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Netherlands and Slovakia have met only once up till date. Oranje proved to be too strong for the Slovakians in the round of 16 at the 2010 World Cup: 2-1.
- The Dutch were beaten 2-1 by Bulgaria in their last friendly game earlier this month.
- Wesley Sneijder (pictured) will equal Ruud Krol with 83 international appearances if he features on Wednesday, and enter Netherlands' top 10 of most-capped players.
- Slovakia have never featured at the European Championships since the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1993.
- Besiktas attacker Filip Holosko is the most-capped Slovakia player in the squad for the match at De Kuip with 55 international appearances.
- Winger Miroslav Stoch plied his trade in the Dutch Eredivisie during the 2009-10 campaign, when he scored 10 goals in 32 league games for Twente.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Netherlands 2-0 Slovakia
- 16.6 %
Netherlands 3-1 Slovakia
- 14.71 %
Netherlands 3-0 Slovakia
- 12.7 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||30 May 2012||Netherlands 2 - Slovakia 0|
|World - FIFA World Cup (WC)||28 Jun 2010||Netherlands 2 - Slovakia 1|
|26 Mar 2013||Netherlands 4 - Romania 0||WCQE|
|22 Mar 2013||Netherlands 3 - Estonia 0||WCQE|
|6 Feb 2013||Netherlands 1 - Italy 1||FR|
|14 Nov 2012||Netherlands 0 - Germany 0||FR|
|16 Oct 2012||Romania 1 - Netherlands 4||WCQE|
|Returns:||Netherlands £12.50||Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
|Returns:||Draw £560.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Returns:||Slovakia £810.00||Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|-||Gregory van der Wiel|
|-||Mark van Bommel|
|-||Nigel De Jong|
|16||Robin van Persie||Striker|
|23||Rafael van der Vaart||Midfielder|
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed