Chelsea - Newcastle Preview: Stamford Bridge showdown sees both sides chasing top-four spot
As the hunt for a Champions League place reaches its conclusion, both teams will be searching for an invaluable win to reignite their hopes of finishing in the top four
By James Burford
Bosingwa, Ivanovic, Terry, Cole
Ramires, Mikel, Lampard
Sturridge, Torres, Mata
Simpson, Williamson, Coloccini, Santon
Obertan, Ben Arfa, Tiote, Gutierrez
Fernando Torres is set to continue upfront for the Blues, after scoring an impressive hat-trick in the 6-1 victory over QPR on Sunday.
Roberto Di Matteo will be without centre-backs David Luiz (hamstring) and Gary Cahill (hamstring), but Branislav Ivanovic returns from suspension and is likely to slot in, with Jose Bosingwa moving to right-back.
Alan Pardew remains hopeful on the fitness of first-team regulars Danny Simpson and Yohan Cabaye, after both picked up minor knocks in the 4-0 defeat by Wigan.
Gabriel Obertan is poised to make a return to Premier League action following a three game absence due to an ankle injury, while Sylvain Marveaux (groin), Steven Taylor (Achilles) and Peter Lovenkrands (thigh) all remain on the long-term absentee list.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea would still qualify for next season's Champions League even if they don't finish in the top four, providing they win the final against Bayern Munich.
- Fernando Torres has got four goals in his last two games, including a vital equaliser against Barcelona in the Champions League semi-final, and a hat-trick against QPR.
- Sunday's 6-1 victory over QPR was the Blues' highest scoring match this season.
- Newcastle were on a run of six consecutive league wins before crashing to a 4-0 defeat by Wigan Athletic at the weekend.
- Demba Ba has failed to find the back of the net in 11 matches, while Papiss Cisse has scored 11 in that time.
- Yohan Cabaye has created the most chances of any Newcastle players this season, with the Frenchman carving out 45 goal-scoring opportunities.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a 100% deposit bonus up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 3-0 Newcastle United
- 20.18 %
Chelsea FC 3-1 Newcastle United
- 15.05 %
Chelsea FC 2-0 Newcastle United
- 11.78 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||8 Feb 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2 Nov 2013||Newcastle United 2 - Chelsea FC 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2 Feb 2013||Newcastle United 3 - Chelsea FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||25 Aug 2012||Chelsea FC 2 - Newcastle United 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||2 May 2012||Chelsea FC 0 - Newcastle United 2|
|13 Apr 2014||Swansea City 0 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|8 Apr 2014||Chelsea FC 2 - Paris Saint-Germain 0||UCL|
|5 Apr 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|2 Apr 2014||Paris Saint-Germain 3 - Chelsea FC 1||UCL|
|29 Mar 2014||Crystal Palace 1 - Chelsea FC 0||EPL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
|10||Hatem Ben Arfa||Midfielder|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed