Brazil - England Preview: Three Lions eye second win on the bounce over Selecao
Goals from Wayne Rooney and Frank Lampard secured a 2-1 triumph at Wembley in February, with the hosts currently floundering in their lowest-ever Fifa ranking of 19th
By Alex Young
Alves, Thiago Silva, David Luiz, Marcelo
Neymar, Oscar, Moura
Johnson, Cahill Jagielka, Cole
Oxlade-Camberlain, Lampard, Walcott
Premier League-based trio David Luiz, Oscar and Julio Cesar are all expected to start, while Oscar will be competing against the likes of Lucas Moura and Paulinho for a spot in midfield.
New Barcelona striker Neymar could feature from the off, while youngster Bernard will be hoping to add to his one cap after his surprising call-up to the Confederations Cup squad.
For England, striker Daniel Sturridge (ankle ligament) is waiting on scan results after injuring himself during Wednesday's 1-1 draw with Republic of Ireland. Jermain Defoe came on in place of the Liverpool man at Wembley to partner Wayne Rooney, but is struggling with an Achilles problem, while Danny Welbeck will also be hoping for some game time.
Roy Hodgson may well change his central defensive partnership as he continues to decide on his first choice pairing following the retirements of John Terry and Rio Ferdinand, while the more experienced James Milner will be hoping for a start after being afforded just a short cameo against Ireland.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- England's last match at Maracana was in 1984, when goals from John Barnes and Mark Hateley secured a famous 2-0 win for the visitors
- Despite being just 21 years old, Neymar is the highest-scoring member of the current squad with 20 goals.
- Brazil legend Ronaldo scored his first ever international goal against England, in a 3-1 win at Wembley in 1995.
- England won their last meeting with Brazil, in February, but that was their first triumph since 1990.
- Wayne Rooney (pictured right) has scored seven goals in his last eight games for the Three Lions.
The game on Sunday marks the official reopening of the Maracana before the 2014 World Cup - these two teams also met to mark the senior England side's first competitive game at the new Wembley in 2007.
- Brazil have scored in every one of their last nine international fixtures against England.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
Brazil 2-1 England
- 15.01 %
Brazil 3-1 England
- 11.61 %
Brazil 1-2 England
- 10.52 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||2 Jun 2013||Brazil 2 - England 2|
|International Friendlies (FR)||6 Feb 2013||England 2 - Brazil 1|
|International Friendlies (FR)||14 Nov 2009||Brazil 1 - England 0|
|20 Nov 2013||Brazil 2 - Chile 1||FR|
|17 Nov 2013||Honduras 0 - Brazil 5||FR|
|15 Oct 2013||Brazil 2 - Zambia 0||FR|
|12 Oct 2013||Republic of Korea 0 - Brazil 2||FR|
|11 Sep 2013||Brazil 3 - Portugal 1||FR|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed