Barcelona-Paris Saint-Germain Preview: Vilanova's side counting on Camp Nou boost
The Blaugrana will hope that home advantage can give them the edge over Carlo Ancelotti's star-studded outfit in Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final second leg
By Karthick Arvinth
Barcelona forward Lionel Messi is racing to recover from a hamstring strain in time for the crunch encounter against Paris Saint-Germain at Camp Nou.
Cesc Fabregas is likely to be preferred in attack if Messi fails to return, while Pedro is also in contention for a starting berth after recovering from a calf injury.
Blaugrana boss Tito Vilanova may deploy either Sergio Busquets or Alex Song in central defence in place of the inexperienced Marc Bartra to counter the attacking threat of the visitors.
PSG captain Thiago Silva is expected to play despite missing the weekend win at Rennes with a bruised knee.
Thiago Motta (groin) and Alex (thigh) should also be fit, but Blaise Matuidi is suspended after picking up his third booking of the competition in the first leg.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Barcelona are on a 20-match unbeaten run at Camp Nou in the Champions League, winning 16, since a 2-1 defeat against Rubin Kazan in October 2009.
- The Blaugrana's overall home record against French opposition is W5, D1, L1, with their most recent encounter against a Ligue 1 club ending in a 5-2 second-leg victory over Olympique Lyonnais in the 2008-09 Champions League round of 16.
- Barcelona have gone on to win 18 of 23 European ties in which they have drawn the first leg away from home.
- Paris Saint-Germain have won three of their four away matches in the Champions League this season.
- The Ligue 1 leaders have never lost a two-legged European tie to Spanish opponents before. Their overall away record against clubs from Spain is W4, D1, L3.
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic (pictured, right) is the only player to have scored for six different clubs in the Champions League: AC Milan, Ajax, Barcelona, Inter, Juventus and PSG.
|Sign up with William Hill for a free bet up to £25|
|Sign up with bet365 for a free bet up to £200|
|Sign up to Paddy Power for £250 in free bets|
Top 3 Predictions
FC Barcelona 3-1 Paris Saint-Germain
- 17.51 %
FC Barcelona 3-0 Paris Saint-Germain
- 12.54 %
FC Barcelona 1-2 Paris Saint-Germain
- 11.59 %
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||10 Apr 2013||FC Barcelona 1 - Paris Saint-Germain 1|
|UEFA Champions League (UCL)||2 Apr 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - FC Barcelona 2|
|Club Friendlies (FRC)||4 Aug 2012||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - FC Barcelona 2|
|6 Dec 2013||F.C. Cartagena 1 - FC Barcelona 4||ESPC|
|1 Dec 2013||Athletic de Bilbao 1 - FC Barcelona 0||LIGA|
|26 Nov 2013||Ajax 2 - FC Barcelona 1||UCL|
|23 Nov 2013||FC Barcelona 4 - Granada 0||LIGA|
|10 Nov 2013||Betis 1 - FC Barcelona 4||LIGA|
|7 Dec 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 5 - FC Sochaux-Montbéliard 0||Lig1|
|4 Dec 2013||Evian Thonon Gaillard 2 - Paris Saint-Germain 0||Lig1|
|1 Dec 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 4 - Olympique Lyonnais 0||Lig1|
|27 Nov 2013||Paris Saint-Germain 2 - Olympiakos Piraeus 1||UCL|
|23 Nov 2013||Stade de Reims 0 - Paris Saint-Germain 3||Lig1|
|8||Andrés Iniesta Luján||Midfielder|
|13||José Pinto Colorado||Goalkeeper|
|23||Gregory van der Wiel||Defender|
Times In IST
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed