The player's agent says that he is aware of the motives behind the forward's surprise comments, while Paulo Futre has denied that his countryman is seeking a bigger pay packageCristiano Ronaldo's agent, Jorge Mendes, has insisted that he always knew about his client's shock admission that he was unhappy with life at Real Madrid.
The 27-year-old stunned the football world after claiming he was left saddened by a 'professional issue' at the club after refusing to celebrate his two goals in the 3-0 Liga victory over Granada on Sunday.
Speculation has intensified over the past 24 hours as to what prompted Ronaldo's comments, but his agent has since released a statement to clarify both his and the player's position on the matter.
"Following [Monday's] reports published by some media outlets, which claim that I have been surprised and bothered by the statements made by Cristiano Ronaldo, I clarify the following," he began.
"Firstly, Ronaldo's declarations are based on reasons that are the best of my knowledge. It is at the discretion of Cristiano whether he discloses them or not.
"Secondly, these statements have not surprised me and, much less, caused me any discomfort. The relationship that binds me to Cristiano Ronaldo means he will always count on me with total solidarity."
Meanwhile, former Portugal winger Paulo Futre dismissed the notion that Ronaldo's statements were motivated by money, instead claiming his discontent could be down to a possible lack of support following his failure to win the 2011 Ballon d'Or.
"I left Madrid this morning and the radios [in Spain] are crazy," the ex-AC Milan and Atletico Madrid star told reporters.
"They say Ronaldo said what he said because he wants to renew his contract and make more money, but I don't believe that.
"He did not win the Ballon d'Or last year and, perhaps, he did not feel the full support of his club."