The Phobians crumbled in the hands of the Scientific Soccer Lads last season and will look forward to revenge this term after a first round win this season
The Accra derby has lost its significance in recent times due to the poor run of form of the two clubs. The Dansoman-based “Scientific Soccer Lads” have been on a bad run of form since the turn of the year. They have only won one of their last five games in the league and are on the verge of dropping into the relegation battle.
Hearts on the contrary are steadily moving away from the drop. Their home win over Amidaus has lifted them three places to 10th on the Ghana Premier League and sixth on the form guide table. David Duncan’s side beat Liberty 2-0 at home in the first round through Robin Gnagne’s penalty and an Ashittey Ollenu clinical finish within a space of five minutes in the second half.
George Lamptey’s Liberty Professionals have a solid record at home having won six times, drawn three and lost only twice at home all season.
The Scientific Soccer Lads completed the double over Hearts last season, and would be hoping to tear away from the relegation fight with a win over Hearts who are yet to win a game away from home in the league.
Ebenezer Assifuah and Kennedy Ashia are the two top-scorers for Liberty Professionals and the pair would have to be at their best to breach a tightened Phobia defence.
At the other end, captain Mahatma Otoo would have to put aside his contractual terms with Hearts of Oak, and lead his team to a first away victory in the league.
The two sides have met 27 times in the league. Liberty Professionals have won seven times and lost 16 times with four games ending in a draw. Liberty have scored 25 goals and conceded 42 against Hearts in the league.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Daniel Adjei is the first and only goalkeeper to score in this fixture when he beat Sammy Adjei from the spot in Liberty’s 2-1 defeat to Hearts in 2011.
- Liberty have won four and lost six times in 13 meetings at home to Accra Hearts of Oak in the league.
- Ebenezer Assifuah and Kennedy Ashia have 16 goals between them in the 2012-13 Glo Premier League.
- James Abban was Liberty’s leading-scorer with seven goals last year when he left for Hearts – he’s only scored once since.
- Hearts have done the double four times over Liberty Professionals in the league – they could make it five, if they win on Wednesday.
- Hearts of Oak are the league’s top-scorers with 29 goals from 22 games.