MTN FA Cup: New Edubiase 1–0 Ashantigold: The Bekwai lads lift the trophy in their maiden final appearance against a 10-man Miners

A solitary strike from captain Ibrahim Moro hands the Bekwai Boys the trophy after Eric Opoku gets sent off for the Miners
New Edubiase became the first team to win the Ghana MTN FA Cup without conceding a goal as they beat Ashgold 1-0 at the Accra Sports Stadium in the final on Sunday. The first half of the game saw a number of chances, but neither team managed to take their chances as the game went into the break still without a goal.

The second half, however, did not go the same way as a solitary strike from captain Ibrahim Moro won the game for Edubiase, who held on for the win after Eric Opoku got sent off for a second bookable offence.

New Edubiase started the game well with Basit Adams getting the first shot on target in the second minute of the game but Fatau Dauda was equal to it. The Miners then had a good spell where they managed a number of shots at goal. Stephen Manu had the ball in the net a few minutes later but was adjudged by the referee to have won the ball unfairly off Lawrence Lartey.  

Both goalkeepers got tested occasionally with Dauda and Salia managing to hold on to their clean sheets with the help of some good defending by both sets of defenders. Both sides came close to opening the scoring late in the first half, Manu latched on to a good ball from midfield but saw his fierce shot fly past the upright a few minutes from half time with Dauda beaten, while Ashgold blasted a free kick from a dangerous position high.

The second half started with a good spell of possession for New Edubiase, a poor challenge by Luis Quainoo led to a free kick from 25 yards which resulted in the first goal of the game, rifled in by Edubiase captain Ibrahim after a layoff, tasking the Miners to do something no other team had managed in the competition so far - score against New Edubiase. Things went from bad to worse for Ashgold as midfielder Eric Opoku got sent off for a second bookable offence.  

The Miners, however, went looking for the equalizer despite their numerical disadvantage hitting a couple of shots off target before a mistake from  Salia handed them a corner kick but the goalkeeper  redeemed himself coming out to punch the cross from the resulting corner clear.

Alex Asamoah then wasted a couple of golden chances to draw Ashgold level, after receiving a good ball over the top, he cut inside his marker beautifully then hesitated to pull the trigger allowing the defenders to cover and clear the ball for a corner from which Lawrence Lartey headed wide, he then tried to go round Salia when through on goal allowing the goalkeeper to gather calmly. Ashgold continued to throw caution to the wind but failed to make use of their chances as Edubiase saw out the match to win the tournament and become the first team to do so without conceding.

They will represent Ghana in next year's Caf Confederation Cup.