China - Ghana Preview: The Black Stars meet the Dragons ahead of a crucial 2013 Afcon qualifier
Ghana are using this game to test their strength ahead of a crucial 2013 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers against Malawi in September
By Joshua Ansah
Xiang, Zhi, Peng, Linpeng
Junmin, Renliang, Hai, Xuri
Afful, Nuhu, Mensah, Boye
Asamoah, Annan, Boateng, Atsu
The Black Stars face their Chinese counterparts in a game that could prove vital in their preparations for the African Cup of Nations qualifier against Malawi.
The stars named a relatively new squad missing a lot of the players who played in the opening World Cup qualifiers such as Jerry Akaminko, Jordan Ayew and Dominic Adiyiah while Sulley Muntari and Emmanuel Agyemang Badu miss out through injury.
The game will also see the return of star striker Asamoah Gyan after a period of self-imposed exile while captain john Mensah also returns having passed a late fitness test.
The two sides will be facing off for the first time and both teams will be looking to make a huge impact on the game. Ghanaian defender Lee Addy may also come face to face against team-mate Yu Dabao who could play a part for The Great Wall. The game which will take place in Xi’an is the four-time Africa champions’ last preparatory game before the qualifier against Malawi while the Chinese have friendlies against Sweden then Brazil as their next commitments.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- This is the first time Ghana is meeting their Chinese counterparts at the men’s senior level
- Ghana was ranked 32 in the world and second in Africa in the latest Fifa ranking.
- The Black Stars lost to South Korea in their last meeting in Asia, but was under a different coach.
- Coach Kwesi Appiah’s side has an average age of 22 and that is close to the team sent to the 2010 Afcon due injured experienced players.
- China were ranked 69 and placed sixth in Asia in the latest world’s football governing body’s ranking.
- The Dragons will be facing the 2010 World Cup quarter-finalists with the return of key faces such as Asamoah Gyan and captain John Mensah.
|Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Top 3 Predictions
China 0-2 Ghana
- 18.46 %
China 1-2 Ghana
- 16.11 %
China 1-3 Ghana
- 14.09 %
|International Friendlies (FR)||Aug 15, 2012||China 1 - Ghana 1|
|Jun 15, 2013||China 1 - Thailand 5||FR|
|Jun 11, 2013||China 0 - Netherlands 2||FR|
|Jun 6, 2013||China 1 - Uzbekistan 2||FR|
|Mar 22, 2013||China 1 - Iraq 0||ACQ|
|Feb 6, 2013||Saudi Arabia 2 - China 1||ACQ|
|Returns:||China $27.00||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
|Returns:||Draw $31.00||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
|Returns:||Ghana $25.00||Sign up today with Ladbrokes and get a $20 welcome bonus!|
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed