Chelsea - Stoke Preview: Blues look for response after Champions League draw
After their being held at home by Juventus, the Roberto Di Matteo's men return to Premier League action against a Potters side that have drawn all four of their games
By Chris Teale
Ivanovic, Terry, Luiz, Cole
Ramires, Mikel, Lampard
Hazard, Torres, Mata
Shotton, Huth, Shawcross, Wilson
Walters, Adam, Kightly
Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge remains a doubt after being ruled out of the club’s 2-2 draw with Juventus in the Champions League.
Oscar, who scored a brace in that game, was subbed off with an ankle injury in that game, and is doubtful.
Otherwise, Chelsea have no injuries or suspensions, so have a strong squad to choose from.
Meanwhile, Stoke defender Andy Wilkinson is banned after being sent off in the game at home to Manchester City, and could be replaced by Ryan Shotton.
Mamady Sidibe is still recovering from a groin injury he sustained in training, and is unlikely to make this game while Jamie Ness is also a doubt with a groin injury.
|DID YOU KNOW?|
- Chelsea have lost just one of their last 11 Premier League games at Stamford Bridge.
- In April 2012, Forbes magazine ranked Chelsea as the seventh most valuable football club in the world, at £743 million.
- Last season, these two sides played out a 0-0 draw on the opening day at the Britannia Stadium, before Chelsea prevailed 1-0 at Stamford Bridge thanks to a goal from Didier Drogba.
- However, in April 2010, Stoke suffered a 7-0 defeat in the fixture between these sides at Stamford Bridge, thanks to a hat-trick from Salomon Kalou and a brace from Frank Lampard.
- Stoke have failed to score in any of their last four visits to Chelsea.
- Potters defender Robert Huth (pictured right) was once part of Chelsea’s first-team squad, and made 42 appearances for the club in the Premier League before leaving for Middlesbrough in 2006.
- Geoff Cameron joined Stoke this summer from MLS side Houston Dynamo, having been selected for the league’s all-star game against Manchester United in 2011.
Top 3 Predictions
Chelsea FC 2-0 Stoke City
- 18.06 %
Chelsea FC 3-0 Stoke City
- 16 %
Chelsea FC 3-1 Stoke City
- 13.19 %
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Apr 5, 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Stoke City 0|
|England - FA Cup (FA)||Jan 26, 2014||Chelsea FC 1 - Stoke City 0|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Dec 7, 2013||Stoke City 3 - Chelsea FC 2|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Jan 12, 2013||Stoke City 0 - Chelsea FC 4|
|England - Premier League (EPL)||Sep 22, 2012||Chelsea FC 1 - Stoke City 0|
|Apr 19, 2014||Chelsea FC 1 - Sunderland 2||EPL|
|Apr 13, 2014||Swansea City 0 - Chelsea FC 1||EPL|
|Apr 8, 2014||Chelsea FC 2 - Paris Saint-Germain 0||UCL|
|Apr 5, 2014||Chelsea FC 3 - Stoke City 0||EPL|
|Apr 2, 2014||Paris Saint-Germain 3 - Chelsea FC 1||UCL|
|12||John Obi Mikel||Midfielder|
Times In GMT
Live Final scheduled Suspended Cancelled Postponed