Newcastle midfielder Atsu ruled out of Manchester United clash

ShareClose Comments
The Magpies midfielder picked up an in injury ahead of the international break and is yet to fully recover

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has revealed that they will be without three key players including Ghana midfielder Christian Atsu, when they face Manchester United at Old Trafford in the Premier League on Saturday.

The 25-year-old picked up an injury against Bournemouth a fortnight ago and was forced out of Ghana's last game against Egypt in the 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifying.

Newcastle captain Jamaal Lascelles and Mikel Merino will also play no part of the game.

"Mikel Merino's been with a member of staff in Spain [because of his injury]. He will come back and hopefully start training here soon," Benitez said at the pre-match conference.

"Jamaal Lascelles and Christian Atsu are injured and will not be available. Atsu will be out a couple of weeks. We’ll see next week how Lascelles feels,” he added

However, Benitez said Paul Dummett, who suffered a hamstring injury on opening day of the season, was edging closer to a comeback.

Article continues below

"Dummett's getting closer. He's training with us and will be ready soon," he said.

Atsu has made 11 appearances so far this season for Newcastle, including 10 starts and has scored one goal as well as providing one assist.

 

Next article:
Madrid's main man: Bale shows Ronaldo the way as Real rediscover goal touch
Next article:
Ronaldo suffers nasty cut to the head & uses mobile phone to assess the damage!
Next article:
ISL 2017-18: Kerala Blasters’ David James - I can’t talk about the previous regime
Next article:
ISL 2017-18: Miguel Portugal - We need three to four goals to win a match
Next article:
January transfer news & rumours: Mkhitaryan set for pay rise at Arsenal
Close