Marseille and West Ham have failed to strike a deal for Dimitri Payet despite holding talks in London on Monday, Goal understands.
The France star is said to have told the Hammers that he will not play for them again this season and has requested a transfer in the January window, with his former club the only team to have so far made a known offer.
Marseille president Jacques-Henri Eyraud travelled to the English capital on Monday in an attempt to negotiate a deal for Payet but West Ham are holding out for a fee between £30 million and £35m and are refusing to budge on that valuation.
Some reports have suggested Payet would agree a switch this month but not move until the summer, finishing the 2016-17 campaign in the Premier League, but after a backlash from supporters West Ham would prefer to offload him immediately.
Despite reports claiming Marseille had submitted a second bid, however, a deal has not been reached.
Mark Noble, West Ham's captain, admitted he had been angered by the Frenchman's decision to go on strike while the club determines his future.
"I am angry and disappointed, because I have always said that he is one of the best players I have ever played with," the midfielder said.
"I had - and I say had because I haven't really spoken to him for the last two or three weeks - a great relationship with him, but I don't know his reasons."
Payet has made 17 starts in the Premier League this season, scoring twice, on top of seven appearances in the Europa League.