Leipzig confirm two Liverpool bids for Keita and hint at summer sale in 2018

Comments
The Reds had made the Guinea international a top target during the current window, but his Bundesliga employers have no intention of selling just yet

RB Leipzig have admitted to snubbing two bids from Liverpool for Naby Keita, but admit that a sale could be sanctioned next summer.

The highly-rated Guinea international emerged as a top target for Reds boss Jurgen Klopp early in the current transfer window.

Leipzig 16/1 for Bundesliga title with dabblebet

Two offers were tabled, but Goal revealed in July that no third approach from Anfield would be made after seeing a £66 million proposal knocked back.

Leipzig sporting director Ralf Rangnick insists his side never had any intention of parting with Keita, but concedes that his development could lead to a departure in 2018.

He told reporters when quizzed on the 22-year-old’s future: “There were two offers from Liverpool and in between times also a telephone call between the clubs.

“But not between me and Jurgen Klopp.

“For us, it was always clear that we would not give Naby Keita. That is why there was no direct contact.

'Keita won't sign new Leipzig deal'

“Every club that has sporting ambitious would have done the same as we did.

“But we must weigh it up. If we let Keita go for €70-80m this year, what more would that bring us compared to the sum we would get next year?”

HD Naby Keita

Keita contributed eight goals to the Leipzig cause from midfield last season, as they finished as runners-up in the Bundesliga.

More of the same is expected this term, which will help to raise his profile even further.

He will, however, see a £48m release clause kick in next summer if no fresh terms are agreed in Germany, with Rangnick admitting again that Leipzig may be forced to reluctantly part with a prized asset.

Firmino can carry Coutinho-less Liverpool

Article continues below

He added: “Sometimes, players develop even faster than the club.

“When he plays a season like last year and, if possible, in the Champions League too - then we might be able to let a player join a big club and live with it.”

Keita and Leipzig will kick off their 2017-18 Bundesliga campaign with a trip to Schalke on Saturday.

Next article:
Sanchez to start for Man United as Martial is dropped, confirms Mourinho
Next article:
Mourinho: Pogba's World Cup victory has helped United find momentum
Next article:
Liverpool want to be the ugliest team to play against, says Klopp
Next article:
Caf Champions League wrap: Primiero Agosto and Setif progress to semi-finals
Next article:
Wilfried Zaha is Crystal Palace’s all-time best, says former club record scorer Andy Johnson
Close