Jonathan Walters to undergo knee surgery

ShareClose Comments
The Potters forward has been forced to seek treatment on a persistent knee problem, meaning that he will be out of action for a number of weeks

Jonathan Walters is set for a spell on the sidelines after it was confirmed that the Stoke City striker will have an operation on his knee.

Walters has featured 17 times for Stoke in all competitions this season, scoring twice, and the 33-year-old has been carrying a knee injury for much of that period.

WATCH: Irish midfielder's amazing assist

Stoke manager Mark Hughes confirmed that the Republic of Ireland international will be out of action for a number of weeks at least while the complaint is addressed.

"We're missing Jon Walters, unfortunately," Hughes said ahead of Stoke's Premier League clash with Sunderland. "He's got a problem with his knee, which needs to be sorted out. So he's going to be missing for a little bit.

Walters previously underwent surgery on his knee in March 2016, but managed to regain fitness in time for Euro 2016.

WATCH: Bohemians battle blizzard in pre-season

However, the new injury will come as a concern to Ireland manager Martin O'Neill, who will soon be finalising his squad selection for the upcoming World Cup qualifier against Wales.

The Boys in Green host Gareth Bale and company at the Aviva Stadium on March 24, meaning that the striker could find himself in a race against time to prove his fitness following surgery.

Next article:
ISL 2017-18: Steve Coppell - Experience in midfield made us more solid
Next article:
Barkley: Conte said Chelsea's system is perfect for me
Next article:
Chelsea team news: Batshuayi and David Luiz start against Norwich in FA Cup replay
Next article:
Messi the greatest ever despite no World Cup win, insists Di Maria
Next article:
MLS transaction tracker: All of the latest trades and transfers across the league
Close