When Mamelodi Sundowns signed George Lebese at the beginning of the 2017/2018 Premier Soccer League (PSL) season much was expected of the 28-year-old, but he has since failed to hit the heights which saw him star at Kaizer Chiefs.
The Mamelodi-born winger was roped in as a replacement for Keagan Dolly who joined French Ligue 1 club Montpellier in January but is yet to cement his place in coach Pitso Mosimane’s starting XI as his less than impressive performances have forced him to settle for a place on the bench.
This has certainly not pleased Lebese, and he admits that he has not been happy with his contributions thus far, calling on fans to remain patient while he completes his transition.
“Obviously I am not happy with the contributions that I have made so far to Mamelodi Sundowns‚” Lebese told SowetanLIVE in an interview on Tuesday.
“As a player you want to be playing every match but I respect the decision of the coach because I know that the players who are playing ahead of me are doing well at the moment.
“I am asking the Sundowns fans to be patient with me because I am doing all I can to make them happy and contribute to the success of the team,” he pleaded.
Meanwhile, Lebese explains that his struggles at Chloorkop are down to a number of factors, but is adamant that he will continue to work hard and will eventually come good.
“It is a combination of many factors,” he said.
“I am learning how to do things differently under a new coach‚ a new system and in a different environment but things are looking up and I am hopeful that things will be better as the season progresses,” he explained.
“I am not expecting that we will have a long break anyway‚ but my plan is to continue working on my fitness right through the Christmas break so that when we resume I am in good physical condition‚” he added.