The 2017 Cecafa Senior Challenge kick-off date has been pushed back for the second time.
The games that will be hosted in Kenya, were initially scheduled to kick-off on November 17, before it was moved to November 25. It has now emerged that the regional tournament will kick-off on December 3 to 17.
Though Cecefa secretariat and the host nation, Kenya are yet to release a statement on the new changes, Zimbabwe let the cat out of the bag with a tweet on the federation’s official account.
“Cecafa has pushed back tournament dates for the 2017 edition. The tournament will now be played between December 3 and 17 instead of November 25 to December 9."
When reached for comment, Cecafa secretary general Nicholas Musonye refused to confirm nor deny the latest development, only saying that he will be in a position to answer the question after consulting with other members.
“I cannot comment on that issue for now. We are in a meeting and will have a press conference tomorrow (Thursday) to give updates on the tournament. I will get back to you,” Musonye told Goal.
Another tweet on the same handle also gave conflicting information on the exact number of teams expected to grace the tournament.
Initially, Football Kenya Federation had announced that 12 teams will take part in the event. But Zimbabwe, who confirmed their participation as guests, said that only 10 countries have committed so far.
According to Zimbabwe FA, Kenya will be joined by Uganda, Rwanda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Burundi, South Sudan, Zanzibar and Libya.
Somalia is yet to confirm though Eritrea and Djibouti have withdrawn from the competition.