Tianjin Quanjian manager Fabio Cannavaro has confirmed that he held talks over a move for Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney, while he is also keen on Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Fiorentina star Nikola Kalinic.
Tabloid reports on Wednesday have suggested England captain Rooney is now keen to leave Old Trafford after over 12 years at the club.
The United striker, who has struggled for regular first-team minutes this season despite breaking the club's goalscoring record in January, has apparently been offered £35 million per year to move to China.
And Cannavaro has revealed that Tianjin Quanjian had a "chat" over a move for Rooney, but insists that Aubameyang, who the club apparently made a bid for, and Kalinic are higher priorities.
The World Cup winner told Tianjin TV: “We did make an approach for Rooney, but it was just chit-chat because he simply doesn’t suit our style of play.
“No further discussion was necessary. The truth is we had more frequent contact with Aubameyang.
"Unfortunately, our bid was rejected by Borussia Dortmund who said he was needed in this season’s Champions League.
“Our prime target is still Kalinic but it’s quite difficult for his club to let him leave at the moment.
"Under such circumstances, we are caught in a dilemma. I need to communicate with our managing director.”
Dortmund sensation Aubameyang has long been linked with a switch to Real Madrid, while Kalinic has previously revealed that he rejected a move to China, insisting that he doesn't feel he's worth his €50m release clause.
Cannavaro's side have ample time to recruit players with the transfer window in China not closing until Tuesday, while the new Super League season gets underway on March 3.