'Cheating Luiz is lazy' - Chelsea defender hammered by Man Utd legend Keane

ShareClose Comments
The Brazilian has seen his contribution to the Blues cause questioned, with a needless penalty conceded against Atletico Madrid in his latest outing

David Luiz has been branded “lazy” by Roy Keane, with the Chelsea defender accused of “cheating” against Atletico Madrid.

The Brazilian centre-half was responsible for the Blues falling behind during a Champions League clash in the Spanish capital on Wednesday.

CFC 11/1 to beat City, Morata 1st goal

A needless tug on Lucas Hernandez at a corner saw Atletico awarded a penalty and Luiz given a yellow card, with Antoine Griezmann converting from the spot.

Chelsea hit back to snatch a dramatic 2-1 win, but Keane was quick to slam the decision-making of a man who threatened to undermine the efforts of Antonio Conte’s side.

The Manchester United legend told ITV: “It's madness really. It's a form of cheating.

“Why he's doing it is beyond me. He's lazy and he's letting his team-mates down. 

“He knows himself. There's no need. We see a lot of that going on, so I'm glad he got punished for it. It's a form of cheating.”

Roy Keane David Luiz Chelsea cheating lazy

Steven Gerrard has also questioned Luiz’s recent displays and his contribution to the Chelsea cause.

On top of conceding a penalty against Atletico, the 30-year-old centre-half was sent off in his most recent Premier League appearance against Arsenal.

“It's the second time he has let his team-mates down (after) getting the sending off at Stamford Bridge last week,” Liverpool icon Gerrard told BT Sport.

Article continues below

“This is a moment of madness at a time when Chelsea were totally dominating this game and looked likely to make the first breakthrough.”

Alvaro Morata restored parity for the Blues against Atletico, before Michy Batshuayi snatched a last-gasp 94th-minute winner.

Chelsea are next in action against fellow Premier League title hopefuls Manchester City on Saturday, with Luiz set to sit that game out as he continues to serve a domestic ban.

Next article:
Perak close grip on second place, relegation battle heats up with two MSL rounds left
Next article:
Sources: USMNT goalkeeper Steffen nearing Bristol City move after $3.9 million offer
Next article:
'It's up to us now' - Velez on Negeri Sembilan's survival chances
Next article:
U.S. Open Cup review: MLS clubs claim all four semifinal spots
Next article:
Nazliazmi optimistic about securing top-tier safety, denies crisis
Close

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Show more Accept