Bidvest Wits skipper Thulani Hlatshwayo clears the air regarding Orlando Pirates reports

ShareClose Comments
The Wits skipper says he remains committed to the club despite reports that he's wanted by the Sea Robbers

Bidvest Wits defender Thulani Hlatshwayo has refuted claims that he could be on his way to Orlando Pirates in the near future.

Speaking at the media open day on Tuesday ahead of the Nedbank Cup Last 32, Hlatshwayo vehemently denied that there he was ever contacted by Pirates.

The 28 year old, who hails from Soweto, said his focus is purely on his team considering where they are on the log table.

“Personally, no one at all has spoken to me. I don’t know if they did approach Wits, but even the club hasn’t told me anything,” Hlatshwayo told the media. 

The Students bolstered their squad during January transfer window with the signing Dennis Weildich from Maritzburg United, while Gyimah was also signed to stabilize the back four.

Reports emerged last year that the Buccaneers were interested in the Bafana Bafana international, but Tyson reiterated that he was never made aware.

“I’ve also been seeing the speculation, but from me – to be honest – no one has contacted me. It’s just news that I’ve been seeing in the newspapers, but even then I knew what I wanted. So, it doesn’t affect me now. I just [want] make sure I keep focused on my team, because we did well last season and the core is still here," he said.

“The senior players in the team have been through that, and I’ve also been through it before I joined Wits. There was speculation that I would be going to a bigger team,” he added. 

Following their last season's success, Wits have gone through tough times as they struggled to win games consistently in the first round.

Article continues below

However, their situation has improved drastically, winning against SuperSport United twice in the new year and beating Bloemfontein Celtic to move away from the relegation zone. 

Hlatshwayo said it’s very important to give 100 percent whenever he is on the pitch.

His current deal with the Students is set to expire in June 2019. 

Next article:
Sources: Crew reject Bristol City bid for USMNT goalkeeper Steffen
Next article:
Tim Cahill open to MLS offers, rules out A-League return
Next article:
Neymar vows PSG stay amid Real Madrid speculation
Next article:
Delhi Dynamos midfielder Vinit Rai itching to leave his mark in India's SAFF Championship preparatory camp
Next article:
Gokulam Kerala's Arjun Jayaraj - Kerala players aren't getting enough chances
Close

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. By using our website you agree to our use of cookies in accordance with our privacy policy.

Show more Accept