Atsu arrives for Ghana-Egypt showdown despite injury concerns

Comments
The Newcastle man has touched down in Accra for Sunday’s World Cup qualifier amid speculations that he will miss the encounter due to a recent injury

Amid injury concerns, Newcastle United attacker Christian Atsu has joined Ghana’s camp ahead of the 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifier against Egypt on Sunday.

The Ghana Football Association confirmed Atsu’s arrival in camp on Tuesday via their official Twitter account.

 

It remains to be seen if the speedster will be passed fit for Sunday’s fixture at the Cape Coast Sports Stadium. 

While playing against Bournemouth in the English Premier League on Saturday, the winger tweaked a muscle after attempting a shot, leading to his withdrawal moments later.

Article continues below

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez confirmed the set-back during his post-match presser, prompting speculations that the 25-year-old will likely withdraw from the upcoming World Cup qualifier.

“With Atsu, he felt something, but it’s too early to tell, we will see,” Benitez said.

It will be recalled that Atsu was missing as Ghana faced Uganda and Saudi Arabia last month as he asked to be excused from the games on injury grounds, having been named in coach James Kwesi Appiah’s squad for the double-header.

Next article:
Bakhtiyar's Malaysian experience not the most important tool, says Kyrgyz Republic head coach
Next article:
Sarri, Juventus, Lopetegui - Winners and losers of European season so far
Next article:
Bosnia-Herzegovina vs Northern Ireland: TV channel, live stream, squad news & preview
Next article:
Malaysia's injury woes worsen - now Davies is injured
Next article:
'Modric transfer to Inter is fantasy football' - Guardiola doesn't expect Real Madrid star to move
Close