Arda ready to fight for Barcelona spot as he rules out Galatasaray return

ShareClose Comments
Despite being heavily linked with a move back to his homeland, the Turkey international says he is fully committed to the Camp Nou cause

Arda Turan has ruled out the prospect of leaving Barcelona for Galatasaray before the Turkish transfer window closes on September 8.

The 30-year-old is yet to make a first-team appearance this season and has been linked with a move back to the Super Lig since Paulinho's €40 million arrival from Guangzhou Evergrande Taobao.

However, the Turkey star – who has been named in Barca's 25-man squad for the Champions League group stage – insists he intends to honour his contract, which expires in 2020.

Barca 17/20 to beat Juventus

"I'm staying," he told Beyaz Futbol. "I'm very happy here and I have a contract for another three years."

Arda also made it clear that a return to Turkey would be impossible at present given the treatment he would expect to receive from supporters.

Article continues below

The former Atletico Madrid man was the subject of heavy criticism following an altercation with a journalist on a plane, which caused him to announce his retirement from international duty - only to reverse that decision last month.

It is also believed that his public support of president Recep Tayyip Erdogan has caused division among groups of fans.

"Galatasaray is my home but I know they don't want me now," he said. "I don't want to harm the team."

Next article:
'We are causing them real problems' – Sarri revels in keeping pressure on Juventus
Next article:
The better Ronaldo is, the better Madrid will be – Vazquez lauds four-goal hero
Next article:
Michael Essien released by Persib Bandung
Next article:
Demanding Mourinho is still special, insists Matic
Next article:
Salah 'unstoppable' like Messi - Watford boss Gracia