The Blues are smarting after a defeat to London rivals Tottenham, while Leicester’s form is patchy
Tonight’s Barclays Premier League meeting between Leicester and Chelsea pits the defending champions against the team best placed to claim their crown.
The Blues are smarting after a defeat to London rivals Tottenham, while Leicester’s form is patchy; The Foxes have only won 1 of their last 5 Premier League matches. Leicester will be minus key playmaker Riyad Mahrez who is on AFCON duty, while Chelsea will be without strapping top scorer Diego Costa who allegedly clashed with Chelsea medical staff over his fitness.
Doubtful: Ulloa, Vardy, King
Unavailable: Mahrez, Slimani, Amartey (all on AFCON duty)
Ruled out: Costa
Jamie Vardy is available again after a three-match ban and his pace in behind should provide a threat to Chelsea’s usually resolute back 3 but nevertheless a back 3 that comes off a defeat. The Englishman will be given a late fitness test but is likely to feature at the King Power. Meanwhile, Danny Drinkwater should act as the fulcrum of a midfield so badly missing the industry of N’Golo Kanté; the impressive Frenchman will line up in Chelsea blue against his old club.
Because of the absence of Riyad Mahrez, Gary Cahill will be in direct opposition to the aforementioned Vardy for much of the encounter. The England centre back has already made 2 errors leading to goals in the Premier League this season and Vardy’s predatory instincts will be on high alert.
Key Match Stats
- Leicester have seen over 2.5 goals scored in their last 7 home matches against Chelsea in all competitions.
- Leicester are undefeated in 23 of their last 25 home matches in the Premier League.
- There have been under 2.5 goals scored in Leicester’s last 3 Premier League games.
- Chelsea have scored at least 2 goals in 10 of their last 12 matches against Leicester in all competitions.
- Chelsea have conceded only 4 goals in their last 13 games.
- Chelsea have kept a clean sheet in 5 of their last 6 away games in the Premier League.
- Chelsea are undefeated in 14 of their last 15 matches against Tottenham in all competitions.
Verdict & Picks
After Chelsea’s loss against Tottenham, Conte’s men will be fired up in Saturday’s late kickoff. Leicester’s excellent home record and the slight uncertainty around how Chelsea will respond to their defeat to Spurs makes it an intriguing encounter. A home win is offered at 4.56 by ClickaBet and that could prove tempting.