thumbnail Hello,

Miranda and Filipe Luis appear to be outsiders for the a place in Luiz Felipe Scolari's World Cup squad but are hoping their impressive club form can earn them a timely recall

Aletico Madrid defenders Miranda and Filipe Luis say they still haven’t given up on their World Cup dreams.

The two Brazilians have starred for Atleti as Diego Simeone’s side continue to challenge Real Madrid and Barcelona for the Spanish league title this season, while also impressing in the Champions League.

And their fine club form is exactly what they hope can earn them a return to Luiz Felipe Scolari’s World Cup squad.

“This is a crucial time in terms of getting into the squad and obviously it’s good to be getting the kind of visibility we are enjoying at the moment, with Atletico doing so well,” Miranda, who last appeared for Brazil as a substitute against England in February 2013, told Fifa.com.

“I am thinking about a place in the team because I know I’m good enough and I’ve been producing the kind of form needed to get into the Selecao.”

Left-back Filipe Luis appears to have fallen behind PSG’s Maxwell in the pecking order and faces further competition after Dani Alves switched to the left side against South Africa last month, but the Confederations Cup winner is determined to prove his worth.

“If I said I was happy about not being called up, I’d be lying,” he said.

“I’m pretty sure Felipao has more or less got the squad picked in his mind, but I’m going to keep on fighting till the end to make that list. Obviously I’m still available and I’m itching to hear some good news.”

Scolari was at Camp Nou to watch both players in Atletico's 1-1 Champions League quarter-final draw with Barcelona on Tuesday. He will name his final World Cup squad on May 7.

Related

From the web